cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 causes serious lag

Derri
On our wavelength

Since upgrading to the hub 4 router (free via virgin media)

I've had really bad lag or well packet burst while playing online. Admittedly I am on a wireless connection in a different room from my router. However I've never had so many issues. 

Normally I have a very steady connection but this is constant lag. I've got my console in a DMZ and relevant ports are forwarded. 

Any help would be great. 

Thanks

Derri

9 REPLIES 9

Derri
On our wavelength

4c7b36c13863cd3f3c5d6bc1190c5507b4d07288-13-10-2021.png

 I was gaming between 7ish and 8pm last night and as you can see, major spikes in latency. 

For a virgin connection that BQM is 'good'.

You are using the hub4 wifi for gaming and wonder why your latency is erratic?

Come on man.

Either use and Ethernet cable (cheap) or buy a good router (expensive) and put the hub in modem mode.

You could try renaming the wifi bands to different names then connect your device to just one of them.

MAYBE that could help.

Derri
On our wavelength

I'm not gaming anywhere close to where my router is otherwise I'd use an ethernet cable. 

I also don't see why I should have to buy an expensive router when I've never had this problem with other Internet provides, hell my talktalk router provided a more stable WiFi connection. 

Especially when VM claims that they have amazing WiFi and the hub 4 is amazing etc etc. To be honest I'd even say it was slightly better on the hub 3 which doesn't make sense. 

Point is, I don't see why I should have this level of spiking and inconsistency when gaming through VMs WiFi, when other providers I've used in the past have given a much better experience. 

What virgin claim and actual reality are far from each other. 

hub4 Wi-Fi has basically the same specs as the hub 3. 

Don’t fall for the marketing crap.

It may just be a problem with power levels etc. 
If you sign in to the hub and copy and paste the data from network status here we can have a look to see if anything stands out. 

Hi Derri

Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear of any gamer issues.

I can see you've spoke to the team and we've sent you a WiFi pod. How's the gaming been since receiving this? 

A check has also been done today and there's no outages and all your levels are in spec. 

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Derri
On our wavelength

Hi John, it really hasn't done anything, we still have poor WiFi coverage across the house, even after placing the WiFi booster in multiple different locations.

A half decent wireless router doesn't cost much.

Bite the bullet. I don't know how anyone could live with any ISP provided router in all honesty.

Derri
On our wavelength

Hi,

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Derri 

Thanks for your reply, Derri, 

I've had another look at your connection and all reading appear OK from here. Switching to a wired connection would be the best option to stabilise your connection but if this is not an option for you then we can work on adding another pod to your network to increase the wifi reach. A  dedicated wifi router as suggested by keasy, is also an alternative.

If you would like us to add another pod let us know and we will send you a PM

Cheers,

Corey C