Menu
Jresty100
Dialled in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4 - 1 GB - Latency ping issue - Please read - good info for gamers

I live in Croydon, surrey area reference 03.

Just to put some advice out to people who play online video games at a decent level, from this area not to use Virgin as an ISP. Try another ISP, the download speeds and upload speeds are great but the latency/ping in this area has been useless since the first lockdown back in April 2020. Its due to over sold demand and over utilisation. Basically it will lag and you wont be able to enjoy your gaming experience throughout the day. No one can help you it is what it is. I have complained multiple times all they do is agree and advise engineers are working to upgrade locally and try and  upgrade you to a "faster" package which is false. Your download speed will be great and increase, but when you play the downloaded game your ping will still be the same and spike, especially in peak times 5pm - 7pm when most people play. Your better of trying a different ISP once your current contract ends with slower download speeds/uploads and tracking your ping during your trial period at peak times to see how it looks usually first 30 days. Don't make the mistake of a contract re-new for free for 18 months of ping issues.

I recently got upgraded to the 1gb from m500,m300 , it makes no difference to the latency its still terrible especially at peak times, you have 0 chance of playing without packet loss/high ping spikes during these times, maybe VM need to consider there existing customer base more before looking for new.

Hope this helps. 

JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4 - 1 GB - Latency ping issue - Please read - good info for gamers

Other ISP's haven't been that great either to be honest.

Even full fibres ISP's have struggled... thats if the issues are even ISP level in some cases.

If I've helped let me know 🙂

10 year's managing 9 Virgin Media accounts, and things never got any better, closed last 4 accounts since January 2021 :L

I give 'my' experience to help where possible.
0 Kudos
GamerFishy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

This. I’m in the same area and have the same problem. A friend who lives locally is on Plusnet and has no such problems.

My BQM:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/4652af625e0f7db63d1d63c4da4265fa6a...
0 Kudos
Jresty100
Dialled in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Most gamers see download speed and think great no issues. 

That is wrong just because an ISP has good download speed, has nothing to do really with online gaming. You will be able to download the file quicker that's about it. 

I recently tested sky wifi 30mb/s download speed and the ping was more consistent than VM wired ethernet super hub 4 1gb. 

0 Kudos
Jresty100
Dialled in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

That is terrible.

All VM/ISP's care about is turnover now and download speed, the market in the uk for stable ping/latency for gaming is terrible.

0 Kudos
GamerFishy
Tuning in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I’ve had to resort to a mobile hotspot for any competitive online multiplayer. A sorry state indeed. I might try Zen once covid calms down. I’ve seen good things in forums.
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

In my area (22), have no latency issues at all.

The SH4 in router mode, just cant handle gaming IMHO.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Jresty100
Dialled in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Jresty100_0-1610716959922.png

0 Kudos
Jresty100
Dialled in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Jresty100_0-1610717338245.png

0 Kudos
Jresty100
Dialled in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Even if i put it in modem modem and purchase a 3rd party router. It will lag.

0 Kudos