Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 port forwarding issue

Hi,

I've tried just about everything going but i'll list it here; I'm trying to forward a couple ports as they're blocked and no one can join my Conan server. The ports are: 

7777, 7778, 25575, 27015.

I've tried adding them from lowest to highest, I've tried adding them to both port forward and triggering, I've tried turning off the hecking firewall all together (both the router and my PC) and yet the ports are STILL saying blocked. . .

hub details are: 

Standard specification compliant : DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware version : 10
Software version : 9.1.1802.613
Cable modem serial number : AAAP90166642
System up time : 0 days 18h:11m:14s
Network access : Allowed

I've also tried turning DMZ on set for my computers IP, still doesn't work. I get the feeling none of the settings are actually applying because even after clicking save when I then go to a different section it gives the message "you have unsaved changes if you leave blah blah" even if I click save multiple times it still gives that message?

I've read countless forum posts about how VM's actual "support" is useless hence I'm asking a wider community who have been plagued by a similar issue. I do NOT want to buy a separate router

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 port forwarding issue

Hello

For port forwarding to work the hubs firewall must be on.

Once they are open you can check by using this tool - https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Cheers,

I get that much but surely if you turn the firewall off, it wouldn't even need the forward facility as it opens all ports? is that not correct?

A

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hello

If the firewall is off, no ports will forward to the end point i.e. the IP address of your server, only when you use port forwarding will it open the ports,and direct the traffic to the end point, with the firewall on, as the firewall is responsible to direct the traffic to the correct ip address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Ok, well the firewall is on, DMZ is off, the ports are configured individually and as shown in ascending order on both PF and triggering and non surprisingly it's still reporting they're all blocked.

" Port 7777 is closed on [MOD EDIT: Removed]."

I even rebooted my router just incase it required a reboot to actually apply the settings but nope, no change.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Is there any firewall on the machine that you are running as a server ?

Regards Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

bog standard windows defender, tried turning the firewall off on that too but again, no difference made I've also tried specifying the ports on the inbound rule

• TCP: 25575,27015-27030,27036-27037
  • UDP: 4380,7777-7780,27000-27031,27036
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

You could try the hub in modem mode, that directs all traffic on all ports to one Ethernet connected device, just as test to rule out anything on your LAN side blocking the ports by accident.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

But that will also stop it from working as a wireless hub so it's not exactly an option for me. Appreciate the input though 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Yes that is true, but as @SCA1972 pointed out, this is only intended as a short term test.

If, after putting the hub in Modem mode, the inbound ports are still blocked, then the issue is internal and something to do with your server.