Menu
HabeebM
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Horrible latency variation

For about the last 10 months(especially June and right now), my latency has been incredibly high
throughout the day(early in the morning, midday, afternoon, near midnight). Normally, pinging
google yields about 20ms consistently, but now it varies from 80ms, to 400ms, to completely timing out every ten seconds or so. We turn off the router every night and turn it on in the morning, yet customer support has only told us to restart the hub again, to no avail. Its been happening roughly every 3 out of 5 days, just enough so that I haven't really bothered to report it.

| have a wired ethernet(CAT5) connection to an M100 Fibre, Hub 3, and I'm using a DIR-878
router(which I can't seem to setup with thinkbroadband's test). If there is any more info I should
provide, please let me know.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
HabeebM
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Horrible latency variation

Bump, this is getting genuinely unbearable, to the point where my download is also dropping to less than 1mbps. 

HabeebM_0-1609451306544.png

0 Kudos
HabeebM
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Bump

0 Kudos
KieranGiles92
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Where do you live? I just posted the exact same thing. I'm in West Yorkshire, town outside Bradford.

0 Kudos
HabeebM
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just outside of Reading.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

We will need the BQM, although I have a suspicion what it will show anyway.  You either need to enable the router to respond to ICMP requests, if that's not possible then switch the hub back to router mode, and put your Dlink into access point mode, that will allow the hub to do ICMP handling. Check that the BQM is tracking the right IP address, it changes when swapping the hub in or out of modern mode.

We then want a link to a full 24 hours BQM plot. Provide the link as a shared snapshot, and as soon as you've got that you can revert to your original setup.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos