Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

High pings and latency in Glasgow

Here is my latest think broadband monitor graph:

049904b13f44d3b67f7c8fdefaebf26ba7096d0f-08-01-2020.png

ping has been terrible lately. I do not see packet loss on the graph so why am I experiencing such terrible pings lately and lag drops.

i have rebooted and switched channels to a cleaner one and i get this every game i attempt to play

Area reference 28

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: High pings and latency in Glasgow

Other than a couple of reboots/momentary connection loss incidents, your BQM is as good as you'll get on a DOCSIS cable connection, and the latency shown would not be a problem for gaming.  Your cable connection therefore appears (from this snapshot) to be good, and the problem probably lies elsewhere unless there's other details you can relate like slow speeds on ethernet connected devices or loss of connection. 

One possible cause of latency that affects gaming but won't usually show on a BQM is internet traffic routing and capacity issues to gaming servers outside the VM network, and which you and VM can't do much about, but which do tend to get resolved over time without your or my doing anything (or indeed having the ability to do anything).   

You mention "switched channels to a cleaner one", does that mean you're gaming over wireless?  That's another potential problem area - and if you're manually choosing cleaner channels, implies you might even be attempting to game over 2.4 GHz, which in urban areas is an invitation to packet loss and latency - and that won't show on your BQM which only covers the connection between Thinkbroadband's servers and the cable modem within your hub.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: High pings and latency in Glasgow

Yeah ill wait and see if it calms down and go wired.

Thanks for your help. 

0 Kudos