Menu
Chewier_Rich
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

High ping spikes makes games unplayable.

For the past 3 months now I have been plagued by high ms jitter (constantly swapping between around 30ms - up to 700ms) making online gaming pretty much impossible. I have seen that this is an issue affecting many other people, I want to know if there is anything I can do apart from move to another provider.

I am located in Birmingham and my speedtest still reads a good 500 mbps down and 30 mbps up.

I am also aware that this is likely caused by over-utilisation of the network.

I’ve arranged to move to BT broadband soon unless there is something that can be done to fix the high latency/jitter I’m having. 

ps- I’ve already tried the numerous tips online such as different DNS, restarting router, got sent a new router, wired connection and countless other things. any help would be appreciated as I like the high speeds that I get but I can’t live with this unreliable ping. 

0 Kudos
razvanbolog
Tuning in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: High ping spikes makes games unplayable.

The only thing you can do is find the peak and avoid it. Fixing over utilisation problem is not a one day fix and it's quite expensive unfortunately. But even if you get new isp then how would you know that theirs won't be over utilised as well? You might just change for nothing. 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: High ping spikes makes games unplayable.

So long as @Chewier_Rich overlaps his VM connection with the BT one, then he's got a risk free 14 day cooling off period to trial BT, and can bail out if there are any problems.   But as a general rule, Openreach aren't as badly affected by the over-utilisation problems VM have because Openreach have heavier regulation around contention and performance, and the VDSL technology has (by pure chance rather than pre-planning) a better balance of downstream:upstream for the current circumstances.  Of course, Chewier_Rich may want to consider whether they'd prefer to wait for lockdown to end, which has a very high probability of restoring VM's network performance. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos