Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

High ping and packet loss during peak times

I've been having trouble playing games during the day because of lag spikes and packet loss.

Here is a link to my BQM.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/e538488a85f23c8046924608abd37e5084...

I assume this is over utilisation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: High ping and packet loss during peak times

That looks very much like over-utilisation, which has become far more common over the past six months across VM's network. 

Unless VM can confirm that there is either upgrade investment in progress (or budgeted and scheduled), or that there's a traffic routing solution that is feasible and going to be implemented, then it will stay like this for months (sometimes even years).  VM cause the problem by over-selling connections relative to available local capacity, but usually the costs to increase capacity are too high to offer VM any return on investment (so they don't bother).  

Don't rely on a fault reference or a fix date - a fault reference means VM know there's a problem, but doesn't mean anything tangible will be done, and fix dates for over utilisation have a bad habit of drifting forward  as soon as they become imminent.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos