20200730_180836.jpg

 thats my bqm with ghost, ive heard zen is decent aswell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 62 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Re: High ping and Latency, Ipswich IP2 9UA

My Zen was installed on Friday. I gave it a good try over the weekend and the latency was a breath of fresh air and a massive annoyance lifted off my chest.

I still have the Virgin account going as I was told that it would be fixed by 31st July when I called tech support; and much like a lot of people on this forum nothing has changed.

Here are the BQM graphs to show the last 24 hours of both my internet connection:

Virgin Media
d52dabbb456341c81ff787b1bcbba8e3b314581f-04-08-2020
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/d52dabbb456341c81ff787b1bcbba8e3b3...

Zen
503060d954946a15b1c1ded6268f684a48a2f486-04-08-2020
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/503060d954946a15b1c1ded6268f684a48...

Now that I have normal latency I might keep Virgin Media as a backup service, but only if their retention team are able to give me a good deal, as what I have been paying up until now has not been worth it by a long mile. If not, then goodbye Virgin and instead I'll get a 4G/5G date sim.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 63 of 81
Flag for a moderator

I've had Ghost installed and it's brilliant! recommend big time! I downloaded Black ops 4 to play zombies with my mate so I thought I would just connect virgin up to get downloaded while I still have it and....Discord bottom left when in a voice chat the ping was going all over the place to 35 then to 80..also done a few speed tests and even that was all over the place! it's crazy how unstable it is.. anyway now on ghost discord is sitting on 15ms and not moving at all nearly every game I get in I have the lowest ping in the lobby and with that comes a nice responsive gaming experience!

Can't blame the servers now if I die! unless its a poorly made game *cough* Modern Warfare *cough* still getting shot around corners? its 2020 infinity ward come on!!

James 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 64 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Told you its good didnt i, after you mentioned them i got fed up with them and i wont go back i doubt, whilst i still had virgin i tested to see what the difference was and ghost actually downloaded quicker and their customer service is spot on

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 65 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Do share your BQMs for Ghost.

James, you're right about Modern Warfare, but something keeps making me go back 😂🙈

My setup at the moment is I have a Asus RT-AC88U router which gives me great control of the network and amazing wifi coverage throughout my home; I can even get a signal at the end of my garden. My Asus router supports Dual Wan and connected to it are the VM SuperHub 3 and the Zen FritzBox! 7530 (both in Modem Mode); so the primary internet connection is Zen, and the secondary connection is Virgin Media. If one of the connections fail then the other would take over. If both connections are on then my router would direct the Zen connection to my gaming PC and PS4 and the VM connection would handle every other device connected (mobile phones, TV, Chromecast, etc).

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 66 of 81
Flag for a moderator

So having another Virgin engineer coming out to have a look again tomorrow but Virgin have confirmed that I can leave my contract with no penalty which is reassuring. Assuming the engineer can't do anything again I'm then faced with trying to find another provider.

I know Ghost has been recommended by Riece on multiple occasions and I am tempted, but I don't really want to pay the £100 upfront and pay a little more every month (£40 as opposed to £38 what I pay for Virgin) for a maximum of 50mb I believe. I don't really want to go through the hassle of going with another provider for free installation and then cancelling within the cooling off period. I know Ghost should be more consistent and steadier then Virgin but I am tempted by BT. They can offer me the same speed for £27 a month and maybe I am gullible but I've heard good things about their router, can anyone share any light on the quality of the service and router of BT? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 67 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jason 

Changing to BT to get the line installed for free to then moving over to Ghost was the best thing I ever did. Didn't realize how bad virgin is around my area but the day I changed over to ghost it was the difference between night and day! even on BT it was good!

To answer your question about BT/Router...it's a solid service, low ping and very stable but the reason i went with ghost is because the ping is even lower then BT ( At least for me ) if you go on this website and scroll down you will see why i went with ghost https://www.ghostgb.co.uk/

I think you have to pick the ISP that suits you..you know? for me i like gaming and can be very competitive player so ghost ticked all the boxs for me 

James 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 68 of 81
Flag for a moderator

• You nailed it right there. It all comes down to what you need, for gaming its ghost for me, bt router claim to have best wifi going on their router and they offer discounts on bt sport for members so if thats your thing then bt would be good. Only down side with bt is 9/10 is a indian call centre if you have issues and they are scripted like virgin, then theres zen which i dont know much about but also look good just whoever you pick avoid talk talk like the plague
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 69 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sebster,

I am really sorry for your ongoing issues.  Can I please ask how you'd like to move forward?  As your posts suggest your issue with Virgin have not been resolved and you're unhappy with the service received.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 70 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies guys,

I'm very tempted by Ghost but with a wife and 3 kids that all use the internet (mostly WiFi) that's why I was tempted by BT, plus the free installation. I suppose the flip side is if I don't get on with BT I can do what you did James, and use the cooling off period to switch over to Ghost.

I've just had an engineer out again today so I suppose I'll just have to wait and see if the new router (again) and cable replacement (again) will do the trick this time. If not then I will be phoning up and cancelling and going with another provider. Shame after 10+ years!