Menu
Superr
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

High ms/ping jitter. Thinking of leaving virgin.

For the past month now I have been plagued by high ms jitter (constantly swapping between around 30ms - up to 500ms) making online gaming pretty much impossible. I have seen that this is an issue affecting many other people, I want to know if anything is being done to fix this.

I am located in Croydon (postcode CR5) and my speedtest still reads a good 350mbps down and 22mbps up.

I am also aware that this is likely a packet loss problem caused by over-utilisation of the network.

I want to know when this issue is going to be fixed otherwise I am going to switch ISP.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: High ms/ping jitter. Thinking of leaving virgin.

Even if there's a fault number and a fix date, that means next to nothing - they appear to routinely "slip" again and again, judging by the reports seen here.  Which means whatever VM say, it's a politician's promise.

If the problems started recently, there's a good chance they'll fade away as and when lockdown ends, because most of these newer problems are driven by home working, schooling etc putting too much pressure on a fixed upstream capacity.  So if you can wait, it'll probably resolve, if you can't wait you'll have to investigate other ISPs.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Superr
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: High ms/ping jitter. Thinking of leaving virgin.

I have a feeling that you may be right, although I can't help but hope it gets fixed before then.

0 Kudos