cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High latency when gaming

rmarwood
Tuning in

Hi,

I too have been experiencing really bad latency and while reading the other threads here seems like loads of other people have been experiencing the same thing. I just got off the phone with the disgustingly poor customer support team who basically told me to wait until it's resolved and nothing can be done. I'm just looking for advice on getting compensation before I leave as this has been a long-standing issue which I think is unacceptable. (The guy on the phone told me that you can only get compensation if the internet is out for 4 days when consumer laws here speak of providing a "reliable network"). Virgin seems to be pretty crap of late, are there any networks people would suggest to join?

BQM link 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/5ddbbfc4d6dc1954804b2685c3afe085b486cf24-28-02-2022

10 REPLIES 10

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Looks like a typical over-utilisation pattern, meaning more traffic than VM's local network can handle.  In some areas VM undertake work to rejig the local networks to balance loads and eliminate over-utilisation, and they spend millions each year increasing capacity, but the budget isn't endless, and some areas don't ever get fixed, or have to wait years for a fix.   And sadly VM won't be transparent, so there may be a fault reference and a "fix date", but there's no way of knowing if that fix date is actually backed by an actual plan of action and programme of works. Quite often it seems not, and as the fix date approaches it is simply moved a month or two ahead.  If the Networks team haven't investigated and made a formal diagnosis of over-utilisation, then there won't even be a fault reference, and forum staff are not allowed to suggest or admit the problem.

Only you know if you have other acceptable ISP options, but you may as well pile the pressure on VM, and ask for some compensation out of the company since if this is over-utilisation, then it is an entirely self-inflicted problem for the company.  Use the VM complaints process, starting with the form in My Virgin Media, requesting:

1. VM diagnose the cause of the poor connection and propose a technical solution within 30 days, including an assured fix date
  2. Compensation for any months that the problem has been occurring
  3. Compensation if you experienced any rude, slow, unhelpful or incompetent customer service
  4. A continuing discount against your monthly bill until VM do permanently resolve the problem, if you choose to stay
  5. Release from any remaining fixed term period without penalty 
  6. A deadlock letter to accompany VM's proposed complaint resolution as you have no confidence in the company and expect to escalate the matter.

You'll probably get a fob-off letter and maybe some (possible desultory) offer of compensation.  Review what happens; You can accept any offer, or even give the whole complaints thing up as a waste of your energies.  Or you can wait for the deadlock letter, and take the matter to CISAS.  You may get a second offer from VM before a full adjudication starts, if so see what that says, and reconsider again.  In any CISAS complaint, offer every example you can recall of any  poor support, delays, rudeness, call disconnections, broken call back or fix promises, obfuscation and denial (this is important, these are "aggravating factors" when CISAS assess any compensation that may be due).  Include example BQM's if possible.  If feeling strongly enough you could also complain to Ofcom, stating that VM are not complying with elements 4 and 6 of the Fairness Commitments, but don't put too much effort in as Ofcom consider complaints "in the round" rather than engaging in individual cases.

The grounds of your complaint to VM and CISAS is the poor performance and shocking customer service, and is based on the Consumer Rights Act 2015 that requires any consumer service to be provided with "reasonable skill and care", and on the Ofcom Fairness Commitment 4, that states "Customers’ services work as promised, reliably over time. If things go wrong providers give a prompt response to fix problems and take appropriate action to help their customers, which may include providing compensation where relevant. If providers can’t fix problems with core services they have promised to deliver within a reasonable period, customers can walk away from their contract with no penalty."

Before launching any complaint, give it a few days and see if the forum staff can leap in and offer an acceptable solution (perhaps even miraculously get the field team to find and fix a problem).  They're a helpful bunch who want to see satisfied customers, but are sometimes constrained by company policies.

Hi Andrew,

Where is this form, the My virgin media is dreaful and cluncky, whenever i go to raise a complaint it takes me to the help topics and testing of my equipment and i just go round and round no matter what i do. I cannot seem to find the actual form to fill in or how to even access it

Hi,

I had a similar issue where it just takes you to the fault page and then you do the test and it just sends you back, so when you go on the complaints page, there's a hyperlink in the text which gets you to the complaints form.

Hmm, i go to the complaints and just says there is 'nothing to see here' then click, find out how to raise an issue. Then i get into the bit we mentioned, there is an 'get in touch with us' hyperlink but that takes me to the bloody same page with the fault finding just similar ! So fustrating

When logged in to MVM, scroll down to the navigation bar across the bottom of the page, click Contact us, then press the big button on the next page for Complaints, then click on the big button for Broadband, TV and Phone then click on the red link Continue to make a complaint, then click on the red button Sign in and submit. Et voila!  The complaints form will appear.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @rmarwood, thanks for your post although I'm very sorry to hear of your latency issues whilst gaming.

I just need to pop you a PM to ask you to confirm some details, just so I can ensure I'm running diagnostics across the correct equipment and network for you.

Please expect this PM to arrive shortly, and respond when you can!

Many thanks

Tom_W

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @rmarwood, thanks for your reply via PM confirming the details requested.

I've been able to check our systems, and it does appear that there is a congestion issue on your line affecting the service, please accept my sincere apologies for this.

We do have an estimated fix time of 14th March at 10am, and your reference number for this is F009035638.

Please be assured that you'll received notifications when this fault is fixed, and thank you for your patience in the meantime.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Tom,

I called technical support about a week and a half ago and they told me the issues would be fixed on the 28th of Feb but it wasn't fixed.

What makes you sure it will be fixed this time? Bearing in mind this has been a long standing issue

rmarwood : If you are in an area where they have more subscribers than bandwidth then you might have to move. Sky are no better, so don't think about it. BT on the other hand, i have no issues with regarding speeds any time of the day or night as i can't get Virgin Media unless i am at the Fiancee's, and fortunately we are in a decent area where over utilisation is not an issue.

I have heard a lot of good things about a new company called Hyperoptic who offer 1gb broadband way cheaper than Virgin do.

I had virgin media for years before i moved home, and i used to have issues with over utilisation etc all the time. I don't miss that now.