Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

High latency / over utilised network

Hello

I have been experiencing really poor internet quality from mid-day to mid-night most days for months now. I understand that capacity is running high due to global conditions but I'm really starting to suffer with my own working from home situation.

I'm a game developer working on the Stadia cloud gaming platform. Earlier this year I was able to play and work on Stadia just fine, however now if I attempt to work/play on the platform between midday and midnight I just get horrible latency and slower than expected speeds. It's worth noting that this also affects general internet (not just gaming) so videos buffer etc.

Here is an image of my BQM which has been running for a few weeks now : 

I would greatly appreciate some support from a mod/engineer to see if there is anything I can do as it's getting almost impossible to work under these conditions. 

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: High latency / over utilised network

Typical signs of over utilisation.

Call in and tell them everything has gone very slow.

You can either phone in (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days (6 to 7 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the response

I've rang on a couple of occasions and just get told that it is "peak time" and that there is nothing that can be done. I was actually told to "reset the modem" which would "boost my signal" which is not a fix for the issue I am experiencing 🙄

The problem with over the phone communication is that I can't display the nature of the issue, which is why I'm here 🙂

I'll hang fire here and hopefully hear from a staff member soon!

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Don't mention utilisation, just say slow speed and cutting out.

You need to remember that they are reading from a screen script, and as soon as you mention something that is not on screen they will do anything to get rid of you; their favourites are reboot and I will send a signal down to the Hub.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thread update

Rang Virgin this morning and managed to book an engineer for this Friday (30th Oct) so will hopefully get some resolution from that! Will update here with the outcome/diagnosis for anyone interested

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If it's an area problem there will be little that he/she can do.

But do show them the BQM to illustrate the problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yeah that is my concern. If they come and confirm it's an area problem that's unsolvable then I'll probably have to look elsewhere for a provider which is a shame! At least I'll have the right to cancel without any penalty then.

I'll make sure I show them the BQM 👍

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Here's an update for anyone following.

Engineer came on Friday and sorted out a couple of things...

1. Factory reset of the Hub 3 which forced a software update onto it
  2. Replaced the cable coming into the house as the current one had a little bit of corosion on it. This cleaned up some noise on the line that was being picked up

Unfortunately this appears to have made no difference to the latency and speed issues (as predicted above) so now I must accept that the issue is over utilisation.

RussDooley_0-1604220206786.png

I believe my best option now is to swap to a different ISP, assuming that they won't use the same cabinets/lines and therefore have the same issues?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear that.

Virgin use their own network.  If you move to any other ISP it will be entirely different and not affected by the same problems.  

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've done some digging and yeah that makes sense, hopefully the OpenReach network in my area isn't so utilised 🤞

It's a shame, I've been with VM for years and the service is usually great! The internet I service I get for most things is fine it's just with the nature of my work I need to have that low latency which I'm just not getting currently but I'll hopefully be back one day if the area improves or I move house!

Thanks all for your help along the way 🙂

0 Kudos