cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High latency on Hell Let Loose

joek66
On our wavelength

Recently joined VM on a 100 Mbps connection and ping is typically 90-120ms (significantly more than previous TalkTalk fibre connection). 

I'm using a PowerLine connector but tried removing that today and connecting directly via Ethernet cable - very little improvement.

Would love to know what I could do to get the ping down to something a bit more respectable, e.g. 50ms or lower! 

Thanks

38 REPLIES 38

@CSMacDonald wrote:

I read this thread with interest as someone who also plays Hell Let Loose and has started to experience very bad problems with in-game lag.

I am connected via wifi and have had no issues previously. Latency while playing Hell Let Loose was never the best, but certainly not noticeable and perfectly fine for casual play.

In the last 2-3 days I've started to experience extremely bad lag, rubber banding etc. to the point where on many occasions the server will automatically kick me due to high ping. The game is now unplayable. Weird thing is that when I am web browsing speeds are good, 75-100mbps around 9pm at night. When I do similar tests while playing Hell Let Loose speeds are significantly slower, as low as 0.8mbps! I can't figure out why. 

I've tried on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, with the performance being worse on 2.4ghz. The router is located about 5m away in the room beneath where my PC is located. 

Can anyone help me? I'm trying to avoid running a cable up my stairs into another room.

WiFi connections are not recommended for gaming as they will always add delays, particularly if there are others sharing the WiFi.  For the same reason you cannot measure broadband speeds while the game is running. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

joek66
On our wavelength

WiFi connections can be and should be perfectly fine for a lot of gaming. We're not generally talking about top tier eSports here, and this isn't 2002 - WiFi has come a long way.

@jpeg1 wrote:

WiFi connections are not recommended for gaming as they will always add delays, particularly if there are others sharing the WiFi.  For the same reason you cannot measure broadband speeds while the game is running. 

Wifi can be perfectly fine for gaming, hence why I said in my initial post that everything was working normally until a couple of days ago.

Yes WiFi it can be fine under ideal conditions, but as frequently demonstrated on here it can also be unreliable, particularly when it is being shared with other users on VM's very basic WiFi routers.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

@jpeg1 wrote:

Yes WiFi it can be fine under ideal conditions, but as frequently demonstrated on here it can also be unreliable, particularly when it is being shared with other users on VM's very basic WiFi routers.

I can only speak for myself personally in saying that it has worked just fine 99% of the time for many years. Clearly we are all here trying to troubleshoot the issues we have encountered and I'm not really sure what the point of your contribution is as you are stating the obvious.

Hi @CSMacDonald thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised.

I know this has already been touched on in this thread, but we do not guarantee a wifi performance as this is influenced by lots of external factors. I have ran some diagnostics on the line for you and there are no issues with power levels, or upstream/downstream levels that could be causing performance issues.

Can you please try gaming on an ethernet connection to see how you get on and if this improves the lag/ping?

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi @Tom_W1 , thanks for the reply.

I tried it last night with an ethernet cable and everything was working well, no issues. Like others, I think Hell Let Loose has a problem with unoptimised servers, but so far as my specific issue is concerned the cable eliminated the problem.

Can I try anything else to get it working via wifi? It previously worked that way for years without any issues. Having a 20m cable running through the house is not an optimal solution (first world problems, I know).

You could check with a WiFi scanning app to see if you are using the best channel. A new WiFi source may have come up to cause interference. 

- jpeg1

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @CSMacDonald,

Thank you for coming back to us about your ongoing issues WiFi connection issues. I understand that this must be quite frustrating for you.

Have you been able to try running a WiFi Scanning App as @jpeg1 suggested to see if this can help?

You can take a look at our WiFi SOS page to see if this can help improve your at home connection.

Let us know how you get on and if you need any further help or support. We're here if you need us.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs