Menu
Reply
Jackdarlow1996
  • 8
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
724 Views
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

High latency for the past few months

Hello,

Currently paying for the 252mbps package - worked flawlessly up until 2-3 months ago. We sat around 25-30 ping and never spiked. Now I sit around 50-60 ping and every 10-15 seconds it peaks to 200+

I've checked and deleted anything using up specs on my computer, restarted the internet, tried a VPN etc and nothing has seemed to help. Both mine and my brother are experiencing this on separate computers so it's not unique to one. Any help is appreciated

0 Kudos
Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable
714 Views
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: High latency for the past few months

Could you access your router using http://192.168.0.1/  or http://192.168.100.1/  for modem mode . Don't log in, select the 'Check Router Status' option and paste your 'Downstream', 'Upstream', and 'Network Log' tabs?

At least we can check the stats to rule out an issue with the line.

0 Kudos
Reply
Jackdarlow1996
  • 8
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
670 Views
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: High latency for the past few months

Hi Carl,

Thank you for your reply. Please see the tabs below:

Upstream bonded channels
Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID
1 39400000 3.6 5120 64 qam 2
2 25800000 3.75 5120 64 qam 4
3 32600000 3.65 5120 64 qam 3
4 46200019 3.6 5120 64 qam 1


Upstream bonded channels
Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts
1 ATDMA 0 0 0 0
2 ATDMA 0 0 0 0
3 ATDMA 0 0 0 0
4 ATDMA 0 0 0 0


Downstream bonded channels
Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) SNR (dB) Modulation Channel ID
1 443000000 -5.2 36 256 qam 5
2 411000000 -4.9 36 256 qam 1
3 419000000 -5 36 256 qam 2
4 427000000 -5.4 36 256 qam 3
5 435000000 -5.5 36 256 qam 4
6 451000000 -5 36 256 qam 6
7 459000000 -4.5 37 256 qam 7
8 467000000 -5 37 256 qam 8
9 475000000 -4.9 36 256 qam 9
10 483000000 -4.7 36 256 qam 10
11 491000000 -4.9 36 256 qam 11
12 499000000 -5.2 36 256 qam 12
13 507000000 -5 36 256 qam 13
14 515000000 -5.2 36 256 qam 14
15 523000000 -4.7 36 256 qam 15
16 531000000 -5.5 36 256 qam 16
17 539000000 -5.7 36 256 qam 17
18 547000000 -5.7 36 256 qam 18
19 555000000 -5.4 36 256 qam 19
20 563000000 -5.2 36 256 qam 20
21 571000000 -5.5 36 256 qam 21
22 579000000 -5.7 36 256 qam 22
23 587000000 -5.2 36 256 qam 23
24 595000000 -5.2 36 256 qam 24


Downstream bonded channels
Channel Locked Status RxMER (dB) Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors
1 Locked 36.3 4497 30850
2 Locked 36.3 4688 31209
3 Locked 36.6 2960 30640
4 Locked 36.6 2964 30299
5 Locked 36.6 4679 32427
6 Locked 36.3 3100 30186
7 Locked 37.3 4113 29787
8 Locked 37.3 3419 29901
9 Locked 36.6 3269 29629
10 Locked 36.6 3141 30495
11 Locked 36.6 3023 30245
12 Locked 36.6 3081 30392
13 Locked 36.6 2902 30485
14 Locked 36.3 2929 30806
15 Locked 36.6 3012 31238
16 Locked 36.6 3311 30626
17 Locked 36.6 3217 30630
18 Locked 36.6 3362 30769
19 Locked 36.6 3285 30707
20 Locked 36.6 2883 30794
21 Locked 36.6 2974 30387
22 Locked 36.6 2879 30944
23 Locked 36.6 3259 29939
24 Locked 36.3 3637 29572


Network Log
Time Priority Description
27/07/2020 16:56:25 Error DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
27/07/2020 06:18:2 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
27/07/2020 05:44:50 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
27/07/2020 05:44:50 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
27/07/2020 05:44:50 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
27/07/2020 05:44:50 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
27/07/2020 05:44:49 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
27/07/2020 01:11:26 Error DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
23/07/2020 16:19:16 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 05:41:27 notice DHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-rtsxxl35016u+voc-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 05:41:27 Error DHCP REBIND WARNING - Field invalid in response;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 05:23:8 Error DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 04:16:9 notice DHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-rtsxxl35016u+voc-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 04:16:9 Error DHCP REBIND WARNING - Field invalid in response;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 04:04:52 Error DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 03:23:38 notice DHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-rtsxxl35016u+voc-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 03:23:38 Error DHCP REBIND WARNING - Field invalid in response;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 03:12:28 Error DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 02:30:9 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 02:30:8 Warning! B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
0 Kudos
Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable
666 Views
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: High latency for the past few months


@Jackdarlow1996 wrote:
Hi Carl,

Thank you for your reply. Please see the tabs below:

Upstream bonded channels
Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID
1 39400000 3.6 5120 64 qam 2
2 25800000 3.75 5120 64 qam 4
3 32600000 3.65 5120 64 qam 3
4 46200019 3.6 5120 64 qam 1


Upstream bonded channels
Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts
1 ATDMA 0 0 0 0
2 ATDMA 0 0 0 0
3 ATDMA 0 0 0 0
4 ATDMA 0 0 0 0


Downstream bonded channels
Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) SNR (dB) Modulation Channel ID
1 443000000 -5.2 36 256 qam 5
2 411000000 -4.9 36 256 qam 1
3 419000000 -5 36 256 qam 2
4 427000000 -5.4 36 256 qam 3
5 435000000 -5.5 36 256 qam 4
6 451000000 -5 36 256 qam 6
7 459000000 -4.5 37 256 qam 7
8 467000000 -5 37 256 qam 8
9 475000000 -4.9 36 256 qam 9
10 483000000 -4.7 36 256 qam 10
11 491000000 -4.9 36 256 qam 11
12 499000000 -5.2 36 256 qam 12
13 507000000 -5 36 256 qam 13
14 515000000 -5.2 36 256 qam 14
15 523000000 -4.7 36 256 qam 15
16 531000000 -5.5 36 256 qam 16
17 539000000 -5.7 36 256 qam 17
18 547000000 -5.7 36 256 qam 18
19 555000000 -5.4 36 256 qam 19
20 563000000 -5.2 36 256 qam 20
21 571000000 -5.5 36 256 qam 21
22 579000000 -5.7 36 256 qam 22
23 587000000 -5.2 36 256 qam 23
24 595000000 -5.2 36 256 qam 24


Downstream bonded channels
Channel Locked Status RxMER (dB) Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors
1 Locked 36.3 4497 30850
2 Locked 36.3 4688 31209
3 Locked 36.6 2960 30640
4 Locked 36.6 2964 30299
5 Locked 36.6 4679 32427
6 Locked 36.3 3100 30186
7 Locked 37.3 4113 29787
8 Locked 37.3 3419 29901
9 Locked 36.6 3269 29629
10 Locked 36.6 3141 30495
11 Locked 36.6 3023 30245
12 Locked 36.6 3081 30392
13 Locked 36.6 2902 30485
14 Locked 36.3 2929 30806
15 Locked 36.6 3012 31238
16 Locked 36.6 3311 30626
17 Locked 36.6 3217 30630
18 Locked 36.6 3362 30769
19 Locked 36.6 3285 30707
20 Locked 36.6 2883 30794
21 Locked 36.6 2974 30387
22 Locked 36.6 2879 30944
23 Locked 36.6 3259 29939
24 Locked 36.3 3637 29572


Network Log
Time Priority Description
27/07/2020 16:56:25 Error DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
27/07/2020 06:18:2 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
27/07/2020 05:44:50 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
27/07/2020 05:44:50 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
27/07/2020 05:44:50 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
27/07/2020 05:44:50 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
27/07/2020 05:44:49 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
27/07/2020 01:11:26 Error DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
23/07/2020 16:19:16 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 05:41:27 notice DHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-rtsxxl35016u+voc-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 05:41:27 Error DHCP REBIND WARNING - Field invalid in response;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 05:23:8 Error DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 04:16:9 notice DHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-rtsxxl35016u+voc-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 04:16:9 Error DHCP REBIND WARNING - Field invalid in response;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 04:04:52 Error DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 03:23:38 notice DHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-rtsxxl35016u+voc-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 03:23:38 Error DHCP REBIND WARNING - Field invalid in response;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 03:12:28 Error DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 02:30:9 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2020 02:30:8 Warning! B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

The 'Downstream' power levels should be within -6 to +10 to be in spec, with '0' being optimal.

Although in spec, a number of your channels are low.

You have a large number of 'Post RS Errors' which, depending on how long your HUB has been on, points to an issue with your line.

Could you confirm if you have a device like the below connected between your HUB and the white cable attached to the wall socket?

0 Kudos
Reply
Jackdarlow1996
  • 8
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
658 Views
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: High latency for the past few months

We do indeed - it says 10db on it
0 Kudos
Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable
646 Views
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: High latency for the past few months


@Jackdarlow1996 wrote:
We do indeed - it says 10db on it

Could you confirm if it's called 'forward path equaliser'?

In theory if you remove this device the power levels will increase by 10db. This means that all your negative values would become positive.

For example your lowest channel on -5.7 would be +4.3 and your higest channel on -4.5 would be +5.5.

This would move you more into spec than what you are now, without going out of spec!

0 Kudos
Reply
Jackdarlow1996
  • 8
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
639 Views
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: High latency for the past few months

It's called a "Forward Path Attenuator" is that the same one?

0 Kudos
Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable
636 Views
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: High latency for the past few months


@Jackdarlow1996 wrote:
It's called a "Forward Path Attenuator" is that the same one?


Yes, it means that removing it will only affect the downstream power, not the upstream.

Your upstream power is fine so we don't want to change that!

If you turn off your HUB, remove the device, directly screw in the white cable to your HUB, power your HUB back on, then post a fresh set of stats?

 

Oh and if you are unsure about doing this check these threads where it was recommended:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Constantly-tanking-Internet-We-re-detecting... 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/High-Ping-and-Packet-Loss-throughout-the-da... 

0 Kudos
Reply
Jackdarlow1996
  • 8
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
623 Views
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: High latency for the past few months

Will this fix all the errors we're getting on the network log as well?

I'll take the limiter out shortly
0 Kudos
Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable
620 Views
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: High latency for the past few months


@Jackdarlow1996 wrote:
Will this fix all the errors we're getting on the network log as well?

I'll take the limiter out shortly

It may do.

Being closer to in spec is a good thing, however there could be underlying issues with your line.

0 Kudos
Reply