Menu
Ping90
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

High latency and packet loss hub 3

While my download/upload speed are consistently strong, latency and packet loss are at the other end of the spectrum.

I noticed it a month ago when I started online gaming again. FPS games practically unplayable. 

I tried the steps suggested in similar posts: hub restarts (full on take the power cable out for a minute), wired the Xbox in, disconnected devices that have been added to my network since I was last able to game without issues.

I set up a monitor, here the graph for yesterday: 

a76009c52fdb0d878ab3910022ec6c18a63af6aa-14-10-2020.png

Obviously, that's a terrible result. Any ideas how I can resolve this?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: High latency and packet loss hub 3

The quickest fix would be to change ISP.  What your BQM shows is over-utilisation, which in simple terms means VM have sold too many contracts for the capacity on the network around you, and as a result at peak periods data packets get queued at a choke point, and that destroys latency. 

Sometimes VM can and do fix these faults, and the ongoing national DOCSIS 3.1 roll out will increase capacity.  But as a general rule we're talking many months, worst case a couple of years.  Worse, any information on fix dates cannot be relied upon - there's probably a fault reference and claimed fix date in the next month - but evidence time and again is that far too often these over-utilisation fix dates come and go with nothing actually being done on the ground.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks