Menu
uqwee
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

High latency and dropped packets every night.

Hi,

I've been with Virgin Media for a couple of years now but I have never before experienced such a poor service and performance from them. Sure, the downloads speeds are good but in the past month or so it has become impossible to get online after work and play some video games with my friends. From 4PM onwards till at least midnight it is just constant lag spikes, constant packet drops, no matter if I play on wired on wireless.

Is this really what VM have come to now? Having so many people on their service in one single area that you can't even have a stable connection to a video game? I assume there are no fixes and I've simply been shafted by VM. I'll leave my BQM graph below as well just to prove it all.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/5d6c1338255baced58293f7d1cb830aef07c8f4c-22-01-2021
0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: High latency and dropped packets every night.

Search the terms "over-utilisation".

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
uqwee
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I know what over-utilisation means, but does that mean that I am just stuck in my contract now until it's finished, as there's nothing that can be done to solve this.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If this started during lockdown, there's a chance that it will resolve when all the lockdown related influences roll back, which I'm guessing will be a two or three months yet.  If you value VM's speed and or bundles, you might want to consider waiting it out.  Bear in mind that Openreach may have contention problems, plus you'd need to know what the installation time will be.  Speak to a decent ISP (AAISP, Aquiss, CIX, IDNet, uno, Zen Internet) if you want accurate answers to these questions (and have decent customer service and support).

If you don't want to sit it out and you're in a fixed term contract then start off by phoning VM to ask about cancelling, see what they say.  In some cases of over-utilisation VM say "yes, we understand, you can go", sometimes they'll swear on their mother's life that there's nothing wrong, it's all your fault, and they won't let you leave without penalty.  As this will be dealt with by retentions, you'll probably be made all manner of assurances that it will be fixed - believe those if you wish to.  If you still want to cancel, and they won't let you go without penalty, you'll have to use the VM complaints process (and almost certainly escalate for arbitration at CISAS ) to be released from contract without penalty.  This will take several weeks even a month or two; Chances of success would be high, although there's no absolute guarantee.  If you need to do this, the grounds of your complaint is the poor performance, and your request for release from contract without penalty is twofold: First the Consumer Rights Act 2015 that requires any consumer service to be provided with "reasonable skill and care", and second, the Ofcom Fairness Commitments, that states "Customers’ services work as promised, reliably over time. If things go wrong providers give a prompt response to fix problems and take appropriate action to help their customers, which may include providing compensation where relevant. If providers can’t fix problems with core services they have promised to deliver within a reasonable period, customers can walk away from their contract with no penalty."

If you do choose to raise a complaint. state that if VM won't agree to release you from contract, then you require a "deadlock letter" for the purposes of immediate escalation to CISAS.  This will save time, because without that deadlock letter you have to allow eight weeks from VM receiving the complaint before you can escalate.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks