cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High latency and constant packet loss while gaming and video conferencing

HelpMeAgain
Tuning in

Hello

I have recently joined Virgin Broadband after moving house and for the first month, it was fine, but now the connection is incredibly inconsistent and laggy. Gaming has become virtually impossible and video conferencing drops out 3 to 4 times within an hour.

I have tried contacting support but I keep being told there is no issue on their end, they are refusing to send out an engineer and keep telling me to reset my wifi even though I have issues both on wifi and over ethernet.

Here is a screenshot of the think broadband quality monitor for my network over the last 2 days.

TodayTodayToday

YesterdayThe day before

18 REPLIES 18

I didn't turn off or reboot the router after the engineer visit, that's just the extent of the loss I have been experiencing.

Just extensive internet blackouts and generally high jitter. The blackouts occur usually twice a week.

Here's a live chart

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/6449436e998fe77a74b968af02420a2b311e604c

These graphs just sums up Virgin Medias old outdated network.  They though they would always have the super fast broadband monopoly hence the reason why they did not bother updating it.  Thank God for FTTP!

In nearly every area the network has been updated multiple times, upgrades even to the old HFC network are ongoing, and they're overbuilding the whole thing with FTTP. 

Other than that couldn't agree more. 

OP: severe congestion issue that VM should have sorted way before it got that bad. They should be sorting it: when the team get to reply they should be able to advise on timescales.

A BQM like that isn't the inherent flaws with anything: you have a fault that should be fixed. A Hub 5 may actually help a bit if you are on a Hub 3 right now. 

Hello HelpMeAgain

Sorry to hear of the ongoing broadband connection issues experienced, we understand the frustration and appreciate you raising this via the forums.

From checking the equipment an connection there are issues with the power levels on the downstream channels, was this mentioned during your recent visit? To get this resolved would require another one, I will send you a Private Message to get some details to arrange this.

Rob

Hi Rob,

The issues regarding the power levels on the downstream channels were mentioned during my last engineering visit, and I was told that they had been adjusted to an appropriate level. I was also told that the broadband was supposedly within spec with the engineers measuring equipment and tolerances.

Hopefully this is enough information to identify and remedy the problem upon the next visit.

Thanks

darmo
Up to speed

Keeping one eye on this thread to see what the OP's inevitable options will turn out to be........

@darmo wrote:

Keeping one eye on this thread to see what the OP's inevitable options will turn out to be........

And we both know that the options are; a) suck it up and carry on paying for what you have, or b) leave for a different supplier, no?

@jem101 wrote:

@darmo wrote:

And we both know that the options are; a) suck it up and carry on paying for what you have, or b) leave for a different supplier, no?

Finally some true solutions to peoples problems. There is hope for this forum yet.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Well if 10 years ago we knew the problems back then to solve it today it be solved....but VM choose what is now the hard way.
---------------------------------------------------------------