forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
lawtony
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

High Ping when Gaming

I have Virgin Media M200 using a Hub3. Ive been experiencing very high ping of late. I used to receive around 30-40ms when playing, but not for large periods of my games im 80+ with it often been 120+

Tried restarting my router repeatedly to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Ping when Gaming

If this is a recent-ish problem, then it is very, very likely to be over-utilisation on account of home working, schooling, and higher leisure use of the internet.  Over-utilisation is when the amount of traffic local to you exceeds the capacity of VM's equipment at the top of the coax network.  Whilst for chronic problems VM will invest to increase the capacity, they do that rather too slowly for most customers' satisfaction, and they don't provide accurate and open information about when and if it will be fixed.  But for a probably Covid-related over-utilisation fault, I'll stick my neck out and say that they won't fix any of those.   There's quite a lot of these issues at the moment, I suspect it's rather embarrassing for VM, but if it were your network, would you spend the couple of months technical planning effort and possibly considerable sums of money to resolve each problem you hope will be sorted by (guessing) April?

There can be other causes, such as issues with your household network, or capacity or routing issues for the gaming or video-call servers, but if you setup a BQM over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a link to a live, shared graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can do that immediately.

If this is over-utilisation and it's recent, then assuming you want to keep the VM speed and and other package elements, you'll just have to sit it out.  You could take your business to an Openreach ISP, but install times will be highly variable - if it's just reconnecting an existing socket to an available tap in the cabinet, then that might be a ten day job.  If it requires a technician and work at your place, that may have a two month lead time.  Obviously you'd need to be out of a fixed term contract with VM otherwise there's exit penalties, and you'd need to do your research to make sure you'd be happy with the speed and service you'd get elsewhere.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Do a internet search for Puma 6 Test. Run it, and post the results.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
lawtony
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Here is my link to the BQM, i set it to go last night after looking through some other posts and them recommending to set one up. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/38a8a06c3c8d49fc0ec937e5a16a674f3e...

Thanks

0 Kudos
lawtony
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for replying.

Did a test, wasnt sure what to enter in the server section but it auto entered 56. 

Puma6.PNG

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

BQM is pretty conclusive that it is indeed over-utilisation.  It has nothing to do with the Puma chipset, nor your hub.  It is usually caused by a lack of capacity at the Cable Modem Termination System that is at the head of the coax network converting the radio frequency signals from your hub back to digital optical signals.  When it runs out of capacity, signals get queued for a few (or many) milliseconds, and that's what causes the poor latency.  If the delay is too long, then software will timeout somewhere between your hub and the test servers, and if that happens it will register as a "lost packet".  

Looks like your choice is wait and hope it's Covid related and sorts itself out, or investigate your options around switching ISP.  As we are (hopefully) in sight of an end to lockdown, waiting may be your most prudent choice, despite the problem?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
fran1o86
Just joined
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I think many of us are in the same situation. I have been having very bad latency issues for the past few weeks and couldn't understand where this was coming from. Looking at this forum, it looks like many people are experiencing the same issues.

As an example, this is a typical day for me:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/8987e5c2b29fb43813e773f9c6612024dddee7aa-29-01-2021

This has started on the 4th of January, when every went back to "work", aka remote working. So I am guessing this is Covid-19 related and it got even worse in Jan because we are in full lockdown. Hopefully by March, we should see some progress. 

0 Kudos