Menu
MatthewL_NI
Tuning in
Message 1 of 33
Flag for a moderator

High Ping in the evening

Like the title suggests when it hits around 7pm ish my ping in online games becomes unplayable, I've tested my hardware and I don't believe anything on my end is causing it especially because it only started happening a few days ago when I've changed nothing. Any help with this would be appreciated as it basically makes 50% of my internet useless at night, I'm out of contract and Im thinking about going with another ISP if nothing gets done.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Ping in the evening

Setup a BQM over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a link to a live, shared graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post that immediately.

We don't know the cause yet, but potentially this is "over-utilisation" given the evening onset.  If that's the case then the only reliable cure is indeed changing ISP.  Should it come to that (as I say, we don't know yet), do not believe any "fix date"  that company declares, and do not on any account be swayed by retentions agents promising that it will be fixed, or by any discount or retention incentive, otherwise you'll be in a new 18 month contract and have to fight to get released without penalty. 

Unfortunately VM's track record on over-utilisation problems is very poor - in terms of admitting there's a problem, in terms of actually fixing the network capacity constraints that cause it, and in terms of declaring and then serially failing to meet promised fix dates.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
MatthewL_NI
Tuning in
Message 3 of 33
Flag for a moderator

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/41164d85807c166aecf61cdd2ae78c19ef...

there's the link to the live graph, hopefully it proves useful. And yea I've just been getting run in circles being told to try all the basic stuff or getting told there's no issues in my area.

0 Kudos
risc19
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Welcome to the club!

Here is my wonderful connection...

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/4741aa23823f8f53791e14f2abc2fc2d1c...

"Experience a connection made for gamers"

My Broadband Ping - 1GIG HUB4 Router mode

HUB4 1Gig Router mode
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@MatthewL_NI The good news is that your BQM doesn't look like a utilisation problem, and therefore there's a good chance it will be fixed.  A kindly passing soul has escalated this for a forum staff response, so see what they come up with.  Looking at the BQM I'd hazard a guess that there's a noise or power problem, but rather than ask you to post additional data I'll leave it in the capable hands of the forum staff.

@risc19 is sadly suffering from over-utilisation, as their BQM shows, and in those situations VM's performance is very poor. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

MatthewL_NI
Tuning in
Message 6 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser well I suppose that's not the worst news, I can't imagine it being anything on my end as I've changed nothing before or since it started happening and im on a wired connection that nothing as interfered with before. Hopefully some forum staff will be able to see something we're missing. Any idea how long it normally takes for forum staff to appear?

0 Kudos
risc19
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@MatthewL_NI wrote:

@Andruser well I suppose that's not the worst news, I can't imagine it being anything on my end as I've changed nothing before or since it started happening and im on a wired connection that nothing as interfered with before. Hopefully some forum staff will be able to see something we're missing. Any idea how long it normally takes for forum staff to appear?

Don't hold your breath mate.

My Broadband Ping - 1GIG HUB4 Router mode

HUB4 1Gig Router mode
0 Kudos
MatthewL_NI
Tuning in
Message 8 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Oh I'm definitely not, but I'm out of contract so either they fix it soon or I jump on to BT or something

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi @MatthewL_NI

Thanks for posting. My apologies for the broadband issues.

From running a check here on the system it does show you need a technician visit as all your upstream channels are out of spec.

I've booked in the first available slot, which can be found here

Let us know how the visit goes

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
MatthewL_NI
Tuning in
Message 10 of 33
Flag for a moderator

The upstream channel could be due to 2 years ago I was having major issues with your service when it came to upload speed and one of the engineers attached a booster for upload, which has proven to be incredibly useful. Just in case thats the weirdness you're seeing.

0 Kudos