Menu
ChristosOwen
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

High Ping and Latency Issues (Hub 3.0 M100 Fibre)

Hi,

I recently switched to Virgin Media from BT and since then have been experiencing two issues:

1) Slow speeds, e.g. web pages loading slowly, downloads taking much longer than they should. This is not exclusive to devices connected wirelessly as it happens via both ethernet cable and wireless - though it is much worse on wireless devices. I had better performance when on a 30MB connection with BT. My hub is in the same place as with BT too.

2) High ping/latency while gaming. This is a severe issue for me since a significant part of my income is via gaming on twitch.tv and the high ping is making it frustratingly impossible to compete. I am connected via ethernet cable to my PC while gaming. I did not have any ping/latency issues when on a slower package with BT.

I browsed some similar issues before posting here today and saw it was advised to post statistics of my performance. Below are screenprints showing this over the past 5 or so days. If any other info would help please let me know what and how to get the info - thank you! 

2020-12-14.JPG2020-12-15.JPG2020-12-16.JPG2020-12-17.JPG2020-12-18.JPG

We're very unhappy with the service so far. What can we do?

Thanks,

Chris

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Ping and Latency Issues (Hub 3.0 M100 Fibre)

You'll need to repost any hub status data as text, not screenshots.  Screenshots often contain personal data like device addresses, and they're often illegible by the time they get posted on the forum because of poor resolution and inaccurate cropping.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ChristosOwen
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

2020-12-14.JPG2020-12-15.JPG2020-12-16.JPG2020-12-17.JPG2020-12-18.JPG2020-12-19.JPG

0 Kudos
Dfonix
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Ping and Latency Issues (Hub 3.0 M100 Fibre)I

I have exactly the same issue, its gotten to the point where I've completely given up. I must of spent over £500 on routers to try fix this, tried everything you can think of. We paid for 500mgb Fibre, download/upload speeds were great. Gaming was impossible. Ping would average at 70 and spike up to 400ms. Even with no other devices in the house connected. I've had numerous engineers come out and pretend they know what they're talking about, change the hub when theres nothing wrong with it, add a new splitter.... nothing works. It's embarassing. Friends on BT with 30mgb packages were sitting at 20/30ms ping no lag at all. Why am I paying for something that doesn't work? I've tried calling twice today only for no one to answer the phone, your chat support is now gone. Only way to get any support is to hope one of you read this post and then you'll probably just ask for BQM which tells you nothing anyway.

I want a Superhub 4 upgrade for free, sick of this.

D

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@ChristosOwen Bad news, that's the fingerprint of over-utilisation, where VM's network can't handle the data traffic.  Sometimes VM fix these constraints, more often it seems they don't.  Any promises about "fix dates" should be treated with the same confidence and respect you'd have for a politician's promise.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
frustratedApple
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

We just got a free HUB 4.0 - the wifi seems improved, i.e. we get 200mb/s plus on my son's PC upstairs which he never got before on wifi, but still problems of lag in the game - likewise his friends on much slower BT connections don't have any issues. For download etc it is fine, but for gaming it is just so erratic. 

Fortnite seems to be OK and then lag - ping shoots up - then back to fine, then shoots up - every 30 seconds or so this evening. Have rebooted everything. Maybe there's just too many VM customers on our street.

Seriously thinking of leaving VM now - what's the point paying a lot for high speed if it is so erratic with jitter and ping? Ever since Covid the quality of our connection has gone down - seems like VM just can't handle the increased traffic. BT are supposed to have just upgraded their hardware near us, so will be looking into it tomorrow. Been VM customers since NTL days and could do without the hassle of leaving.

0 Kudos
Sebek2k50
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@frustratedApple

IDK if you notice but if you look at VM broadband gaming support page you will see that we all have same problems. Only one page one there is about 25+ forum thread regarding high ping, latency issues and packet loss. I had enough and just sign up with BT... Don't care about fast download, all I care is stable connection.

0 Kudos