cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Latency and Packet Loss on Super Hub 4

coello
On our wavelength

Hi All,

In pure frustration I have joined the community to see if I can get advice or help with the issues of high latency and packet loss I am getting for my VM Hub 4.

I don't think the team at VM technical support understand the issue. I have been again fobbed off by them offering a 3rd VM pod which I know will make no difference. I get great signal on the 2 I am currently using but suffer high latency and packet loss disrupting gaming for my household.

Using the virgin media connect app Latency is between 10,000 and 12,000 Jitter always above 900. Running test via Thinkbroadband high latency spikes and packet loss. Please see link below for a 24 hour snap shop. Personally I think the issue requires a engineer visit to finally fix a issue that has been going on for years. Thank you in advance for any advice😉

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/864d7dd0365d515e8d7b0c1dfa24049acffdf9f4-22-09-2022

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Apart from the odd spike, your BQM looks good for a VM connection.

You need to post your power levels and network log so we can comment.

Also think about moving off wifi for gaming as it's really not stable enough.  You should, at the very minimum, be using a good powerline adapter and Cat 6a cables.  Or at the best, fully wired direct to the Hub.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

17 REPLIES 17

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Apart from the odd spike, your BQM looks good for a VM connection.

You need to post your power levels and network log so we can comment.

Also think about moving off wifi for gaming as it's really not stable enough.  You should, at the very minimum, be using a good powerline adapter and Cat 6a cables.  Or at the best, fully wired direct to the Hub.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

coello
On our wavelength

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I will post my power levels and network log tomorrow.

My Hub 4 was set up with two VM power adaptors with cat 7 cabels but my son was still experiencing dropouts so VM recommended the pods. They said the power adaptors would no longer work with the pod set up so I have disconnected the power level sets up. Unfortunately the hub 4 is not placed in a position to hardwire to the PC.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Powerline Ethernet will not interfere with WiFi Pods, nor will the Pods interfere the other way around. If anything the Pods are a worse choice…….   Wired connections are not subject to interference or “Smart WiFi” channel hopping and crowded WiFi space!

Hi Coello, welcome to the community! Thank you for posting. 
So sorry to hear you have been experiencing issues on your connection! 

Having had a look on our systems there are no issues with the signals coming into your hub from the exchange. 

I can however see a number of disconnections from the past month, including 11 from the past week.

Ahead of booking you a technicians appointment it would also good to know the following:

-Are the latency and jitter issues just happening when online gaming or at any other time?

-Is this happening with a specific game or site? (Sometimes issues with gaming servers can cause issues rather than your connection itself.)

Regarding the Wi-Fi Pods vs Powerline boosters, we are unable to provide both sets of equipment. 
You can of course use any third party equipment you wish for home networking! This is completely your prerogative - we are just unable to offer technical support with this. 

If it was a case you wanted to purchase 3rd party powerline extenders to ensure you have a wired connection when online gaming of course you would be able to do so! We would be unable to offer support or advise with this, however there are many members of our community here that use 3rd party networking solutions. 

Let us know about the gaming questions and then we can send you a PM to offer further support with the Hub issues. 

All the best. 

Molly

coello
On our wavelength

Hi Molly thank you for talking the time to reach out.

Latency and jitter happens across the home network not just gaming. 

Disconnects are extremely frustrating and happen with Mac PC iPhone Amazon devices. Even sitting on my iPhone which shows I am connected to wifi I cannot open web pages and view streams from social media. I have the Virgin wired power adaptors but was told several months ago when having problems with drop outs to remove and replace with the first new pod. I now have 3 pods.

I have purchased TP Link PA7017 adaptors and cat 8 Lan cabels today but as soon as I connect to the hub my whole network has issues. I have attached link to show what was going on between 14:00 and 16:00

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/0150da9ae3f4e5e9a27ce243a4f8c0f1fa49d444-25-09-2022

Please feel free to send private message so an engineer visit can be arranged.

Thank you Keith

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Strange that PLA's should cause you whole network to go faulty?  They use the mains wiring to carry the ethernet connection from the Hub to the PC/Console and should not affect anything.

Have you done a wifi survey of your property? Is it a crowded wifi space?  Unfortunately, with the Pods you can't have any manual control over your wifi and have to rely on the Hub and Pods managing the wifi space for you via the "Smart WIfi"   It could be the Pods and Hub are changing channels and bands and this is causing the disconnects?

coello
On our wavelength

Yes really strange.

As soon as I connect the adaptor to the hub I have problems. I tried a second time after rebooting hub and had the same issues below

• PS5 while play new COD beta states Lan connected/disconnected every 30 seconds (PS5 lan direct to hub not wifi)
  • iPhones  and Mac book wifi connection drops or slow

Wondering if I have a faulty hub? I also checked virgin cable inlet and noticed at some point they have joined the cable on the inside to extend so not sure if this could also be an issue?

Thanks again

coello
On our wavelength
Yes sorry only survey on the connect app and placing pods in the best places. In general I can have 30 devices connected via hard wire or wifi and the system copes well. Its the drop outs or wifi showing on my iPhone/Mac/PC when its clearly not as I cannot view web pages or social media won't load. Several minutes later its running as normal.

@coello wrote:
Yes sorry only survey on the connect app and placing pods in the best places. In general I can have 30 devices connected via hard wire or wifi and the system copes well. Its the drop outs or wifi showing on my iPhone/Mac/PC when its clearly not as I cannot view web pages or social media won't load. Several minutes later its running as normal.

OK just want to get something straight here because it has all become slightly confused, if you disconnect and unplug all of the powerline adapters, forget about what the implication of doing this is, then are there still issues with devices connecting properly and reliably to the internet?