Menu
Sim6065
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

High Latency and Complaints

Hi there

Over the past few months, since October to be precise I have experienced what I now understand is now a common occurance in high congested areas since lockdown.

Without attaching the emotional roller coaster and torment this has caused, because I know from experience the elders of the community here can be somewhat insensitive and derogatory. 

I've found myself explaining my situation so much that I cannot bare to do it any longer.

All the evidence I have gathered over the period (I have a folder full) since it started point the finger away from me as a customer and towards a problem that is not of my doing, but Virgin and whoever handles their equipment and maintenance.

I have spent every day researching this issue and I'm left in limbo without any communication from Virgin. I was informed the engineer was to attend our area and help finally resolve the over capacity on the 20 something of January, but immediately after, the high latency experience was still very much present.

So many days and days of phonecalls later, I managed to get information that the engineer did not have the tools required, therefor the fix was postponed until the 8th of February. I patiently and eagerly waited and when it came I thought I was finally going to be at rest and return to my working from home and earn an income again. This was not the case. It reached 9pm and the issue was ongoing still, so I called and managed to get through to someone sympathetic towards my case. They was slightly confused as their manifest stated that the engineer solved the issue at 2pm and signed it off, but lo and behold the issue was still going on. Both dumbfounded he apologised and recommended i take the action further with an OFCOM complaint and a few other procedures in the complaints area. Baring in mind I have registered a total of 18 complaints over the period of 5 months, all of which are closed without contact.

The whole situation has been deeply upsetting and I really wanted to avoid disconnecting, I had been a loyal customer for well over a decade so I understood some circumstances from experience, but this has pushed everything to breaking point.

My area of work is common, I have had community members suggest Virgin Business as I use it to source an income but this suggestion is absurd and a bit of an overkill considering the parameters. 

I use a streaming platform called Twitch and play games live, within competitive eSports. This is not easily understood by most, I am 32 and have heard many throughout the years deem this adolescent or not take it seriously but I have worked for many many years to build what I have and luckily put food on the table with what I earn. 

Virgin guarantee the best Gaming experience without ANY INTERRUPTIONS. They state it on their joining page to new customers. I will happily attach every piece of evidence and claims they have made which are for lack of a better word, fraudulent.

This latency issue isn't  DOWNLOAD SPEEDS. I have gone through this so many times but the tech team do not seem to understand.

Communication throughout this whole ordeal has been lacklustre 

I have no more doors to look behind, please can I get someone to assist here?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/48f6bcf57774164f47e8c658aac60a388418dfcc
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Latency and Complaints

That BQM is really not a pretty sight is it?

Honestly, I don't think you, realistically, have any option other than to get an alternative supplier in to either replace the VM connection or even keep VM for the raw download speed but use an Openreach connection for the lower latency. I would also suggest that you look at a supplier like Zen or AAISP rather than the usual suspects such as Sky or BT - yes you will pay a premium, but worth it for the technical support.

What you have run into is the problem of upstream latency on DOCSIS connections, it's an unfortunate consequence of the underlaying way that the technology work. Usually downstream and even upstream speeds are fine and for the majority of VM customers that's all they are concerned about, for gamers though, raw speed (Bandwidth) isn't too important, latency is. Forget a VM Business connection - it uses the same infrastructure and will almost certainly have the same issues, it won't help you in any way, shape or form.

Increasing capacity is not a simple send an engineer to the area even if they do have the right tools (seriously!), it's complex and expensive - now when things generally get back to normal it's quite possible that your connection will improve somewhat, alternatively VM might start doing the necessary work in your area today, it's just not at all likely is it?

VM have never made any claims regarding latency, all of their marketing and push has been to emphasise the headline speeds - you have experienced the lack of understanding of this by the call centre staff, and to be fair to them, they are employed to read a script, they are neither trained nor paid to understand the intricacies of networks (you do get the occasional exception though). The claims about suitability for gaming are probably vague enough to stay on the right side of the ASA - what do you mean by gaming, the ability to download Candy Crush a little quicker and it plays perfectly? Job done then!

Sorry if this all comes across as somewhat bleak and negative but your experience won't get any better until and unless VM invest in increasing capacity or the demand on the network decreases significantly, neither are likely in the short term. For your own sanity (not to mention income) at least start to investigate alternative suppliers today.

Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Sim6065 wrote:

<snip>

I use a streaming platform called Twitch and play games live, within competitive eSports. This is not easily understood by most, I am 32 and have heard many throughout the years deem this adolescent or not take it seriously but I have worked for many many years to build what I have and luckily put food on the table with what I earn. 

A secondary Openreach connection should be more than enough to game and Twitch.  The basic 80mb VDSL has an upload of 20mb so will do Twitch.

You can, as suggested, keep VM and have an Openreach circuit as well. I have this setup with a Draytek Vigor 2860 Dual Router and I route my gaming traffic all via VDSL. 

However you may not be in an area covered by Openreach, so you'll just have to wait until VM fix this overutilisation.

cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The new VM advert that started airing on TV last week shows a young couple online gaming together. It gives the impression that VM broadband is good for gaming (without actually making any specific claims) but the comments below the video, and on this forum, show the very different reality of gaming on VM. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDzu2DHtWac

Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I'd just like to endorse the comments of all previous posters, in particular the recommendation to get a new ISP in addition to VM.  If available, a 35-38 Mbps can be had for around £25 a month.  I accept that's potentially on top of VM's charges, but if you're making money via the internet, surely about £1 a working day is a worthwhile cost of back up?  Yes, it'd be nice if that weren't necessary, but surely still worthwhile?

And if you're earning enough to pay tax and fill in a tax return, the cost of the additional ISP will be deductible as a business expense, so that's 10-40% effective discount.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks