Menu
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 31 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Latency & packetloss

Of course saturation is most likely to occur on the upstream - it is difficult to saturate the downstream on 500Mb/s.

Could also be some channel bonding issue. Do you always get the same bonded channels (upstream and downstream) after a reboot of the SH.

Have you tried removing the pfSense and connected systems from the equation?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 32 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Hi Eeeps,

My first post mentions the 3 routers I have tested with the same results while in modem mode, seems modem mode is busted after working for a year and a half. I am still in router mode at the moment and the connection has improved a lot, still getting spikes of latency but that is nothing new on VMs network I guess. Back when this issue was originally reported I was missing 1 upstream channel so I have certainly had that a couple of times since.

So to answer your question, yes I have tried removing the pfsense box from the equation, nothing within my network is saturating my upload constantly either.

Thanks

Lithgow

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 33 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lithgow, I've checked your network details and as my colleagues, I've not been able to find anything even if I was to be really picky. Can you keep the BQM up for 48 hours and stay in router mode and post an update on here so it will allow us to speak to the engineer if necessary to ask why you're still having problems following recent visits.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 34 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisa,

Still in router mode and still massive spikes in latency, for reference an Openreach FTTC connection on the same pfsense router has the below BQM.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/739227ad1cdc65d5ec7f3cee764b23389f...

Please let me know next steps as I am keen to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Thanks

Lithgow 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 35 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Lithgow, 

Just checked your live link - there are some spike there but this is not unusual and is quite a common graph to see and should not impact usage according to the BQM website. 

Again, your account is looking great; as Lisa said earlier, there is nothing there, even if we were being picky. Everything is well within the parameters we would expect and there are no errors showing or any known area issues. 

Thanks for remaining in Hub mode for us whilst we do these checks with you. 

How have things been at home over the last few days since we posted at the weekend? Have you see any changes - are you still having issues? 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 36 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have checked pfsense monitoring and it appears to be back to the same when the service was working correctly in January. So now this leads me to the current firmware release has introduced an issue in modem mode, who can I contact to get this resolved as I'd rather not be stuck to using router mode which means I now have double NAT.

Thanks

Lithgow

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 37 of 43
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Lithgow, take a look at this thread:

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,24600.msg416777.html#msg416777

Essentially turning on 'forwarding' mode in the DNS resolver and removing the addition of DHCP hosts to the DNS has all but removed my latency issues, along with those of a few others who were seeing similar problems.

Worth a try.

Andy

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 38 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andy,

Thank you so much for that link, this does look to resolve the problem, what does confuse me however is the fact I had the same issue on two other routers a Draytek and Mikrotik.

Its early days yet but I made the change about an hour ago and the graph looks much healthier with lower latencies seen between the pfsense and the gateway which it is monitoring. Looks like you've cracked it!

Thanks

Lithgow

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 39 of 43
Flag for a moderator

I can't claim credit for it. I just thought your issue sounded a lot like mine so wanted to point it out to you.

Andy

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 40 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Now that it has been running for a couple of days, here is my BQM 🙂 Would still be nice to know what happened in the firmware upgrade that broke default pfsense dns functionality.

vm.png

0 Kudos