Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

High Latency & Packet Loss

Hi,

Yesterday morning there was a Virgin Engineer doing something at the green junction box in our driveway. Ever since he was there our internet connection has been terrible. Download speeds range between 2mb and 90mb, mostly sitting around 20-30. My package is M100. Up untilhim being there our connection has been pretty stable most of the time and not caused any issues.

BQM monitor -  https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/2f4545824635d982bae98f95c7d3234006... 

Today the connection is slightly better than yesterday but online gaming is still pretty much impossible.

Called Virgin Media and they have advised that there are no issues and maybe I want to change the wifi channel on my router to see if that helps!?

I understand that there is a higher demand on network at the moment but the BQM above looks way worse than I would expect.

Just wondered if anyone could offer any advice?

Many Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Latency & Packet Loss

2f4545824635d982bae98f95c7d3234006eb1645-03-05-2020.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Some additional info that might help...

- Using a Super Hub 3
- High usage, 5 of us in house with lots of streaming (chromecast, Amazon Fire, PS4, Google Stadia, kids using Youtube on tablets etc). Was suggested I should upgrade my package above 100mb - would that help with latency and packet loss?
- Have about 22 connected devices.... tablets, consoles, phones, smart bulbs, switches
- BQM image posted above

As I say we are a high usage house but never tend to have any issues. Has only been this bad since the Engineer was out at the box yesterday... seems too much of a coincidence

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Still a bit of a mess tonight... So frustrating as trying to play on Stadia and disconnecting every 5-10mins. Never been an issue until past couple of days .....

Tonight a bit more mellow on BQM but still a mess... Anyone any ideas?

2f4545824635d982bae98f95c7d3234006eb1645-03-05-2020.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Everything is now fine. So having contacted Virgin and saying the issue started after the engineer had been working on my street they insisted there was no fault and I either needed to upgrade my package or change the channels on my router. 

At lunchtime today another two engineers were out at the box in the street and ever since I've been getting a constant 107mb download speed , 0% packet loss and very low latency. 

0 Kudos