Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

High Latency/Ping Spikes

Hi there,

A while ago I was having issues with high latency and lag spikes whilst in various games but also whilst browsing the internet pages wouldn't load and videos wouldn't buffer.

I'd bought a NetGear Nighthawk R8000 and was running the Virgin super hub 3 in modem mode, so I initially thought this was the problem. However, I took the router our of modem mode and back to router mode and the issue still occurred. Also since doing that test I've replaced the Nighthawk with a replacement to rule out it being a hardware fault on the router.

Below is what I'm seeing on my own PC when I run a ping -t to google.com, i'd typically see this to be running at 12-24ms, and below that is a thinkbroadband graph of a monitor I setup recently. This an typical example of what I experience.

Local Ping TestLocal Ping Test

Virgin_Media_Internet2.PNG

I can provide any additional information needed and would appreciate any help/feedback.

To note: this has been occurring over a few months seems to be intermittent but recently has been occurring more frequently, and also this PC is running on a wired connection, but these latency issues happen with wireless too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Latency/Ping Spikes

Replying with an extra screenshot:

Virgin_Media_Internet2.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Good Afternoon BobbyTortia, 

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to see that you've been experiencing latency on your broadband services.

I've looked into the hub and can confirm that everything on your hub is within spec. Can you please run a speed test on the Hub 3.0, with the hub remaining in modem mode to see what speeds we're getting into your property?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi David,

Please see below speeds:

BobbyTortia_0-1584195167274.png

Thanks,
Bobby

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me BobbyTortia

This certainly looks like it will need some attention

Please check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a PM from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So, 3 weeks on and this is still a problem, from talking to others on the forum it seems there is an issue with the latest firmware update on router's that are on "hardware version 11", this is pure speculation but the only thing that makes sense at the moment, and most likely the increase in demand for everyone working from home isn't helping the situation.

Haven't had a response from Virgin Media and have logged a complaint.

I know the update can be rolled back to previous version as it's done for Virgin Media Business and they use the same routers. In my eyes this should be as simple as flicking a switch or amending a value which lets the router know it needs an update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This is typical and I can't figure out how to get any attention from VirginHorendous PingHorendous Ping

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Issue seems to be resolved for me, but have had no communication from virgin to say what the problem was, as soon as my problem stopped, another friend in my area started seeing issues so they’re probably doing some work on their infrastructure and keeping it on the low.

I did have a call from one of the techs in my area and they gave me a fault code for a problem with capacity on my road (even though the service status reported no issues) as I had an engineer booked out to see me but was told that there’s no point in the engineer to come out because of the fault in the area, if there wasn’t a pandemic going I would have probably not been contacted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've noticed since yesterday my gaming pings have been acceptable too.

I don't know what they did but it's a lot better now.
0 Kudos