Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

High Latency / Packet Loss

For a while I have been experiencing some severe issues with lag whilst playing games online on my PC, I bought a top of the line ASUS router to try and remedy the issue as the powerline adapters I had previously bought didn't seem to do the job. After digging around I made an account on thinkbroadband.com and this is the results I get (logging from my PC's IP address).

For the record, my computer is upstairs, connected to Wi-Fi.I had powerline adapters to try and circumvent this issue beforehand but I still had major latency issues (probably due to the quality of the wiring in the house?).

Suggestions welcome.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Latency / Packet Loss

I've been having the same problem with my M350 package. Jdoe94 I can tell you now it is most probably not your equipment that is at fault but the Virgin Media network which is oversubscribed in your area. Also if I were you I'd run another BQM from ThinkBroadband as the image you have attached looks like a completely dead line.

Since the end of March I have been experiencing extremely bad lag/latency between 8:00am and 11:00pm. The only way I can get some decent online gaming is if I play from around midnight until the early hours of the morning which is ridiculous and not what I signed up for. I can see with other users the tech support are making them jump through hoops and saying some estimated date for their network to be fixed which keeps getting pushed back, 3 times so far.

I have been running a BQM since March 27th till this very day and all the days in between look nearly identical; high latency hits my connection at 8:00am and doesn't finish until 11:00pm. 

Here is my BQM from April 2nd
0379b2c75d3e866fddcea3224f7f5639a8895542-02-04-2020
If image doesn't work then go here:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/0379b2c75d3e866fddcea3224f7f5639a8...

Here is my BQM from yesterday, June 10th
355ac98a157e2338a2ecbadad98d40511cf63025-10-06-2020
If image doesn't work then go here:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/355ac98a157e2338a2ecbadad98d40511cf63025-10-06-2020

If I am not able to get a definite answer on when this will be resolved, which is clearly a network that can't handle this number of simultaneous users being home at the same time due to the lockdown, then I will be taking my business elsewhere.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

clearly a network that can't handle this number of simultaneous users being home at the same time due to the lockdown

Unfortunately even when lockdown ends, and office workers have to go and pretend to work in their offices, that may not make much difference except during office hours.  Capacity problems may remain between 4pm and midnight, because that has always been peak hours for web browsing, streaming, social media, and gaming, and (to judge by this household) even with nowhere to go, we're probably not making much more use than we would otherwise of the internet. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Jdoe94 wrote:

After digging around I made an account on thinkbroadband.com and this is the results I get (logging from my PC's IP address).

You need to allow ping on your ASUS router.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BQM, Test for outgoing ports and SSL/L2TP VPN test
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Jdoe95, this evening I changed my modem's DNS server to Cloudflare's. Are you using the SH3 or your own router? Changing the DNS server shouldn't really have an impact on latency, but for some reason my latency has improved. Maybe you can give it a go and see if you see a difference as well.

The DNS settings I used are:
Primary - 1.1.1.1
Secondary - 1.0.0.1

661c14fddf04794a1ed1fdf2f260d1f7bc62bd95-12-06-2020

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/661c14fddf04794a1ed1fdf2f260d1f7bc...

I changed my DNS at around 6pm and as you can see it steadily went down afterwards. Normally my latency wouldn't be getting that low until 11:00pm.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Sebster wrote:

I changed my DNS at around 6pm and as you can see it steadily went down afterwards. Normally my latency wouldn't be getting that low until 11:00pm.

Likely just less people using the internet today for your area.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BQM, Test for outgoing ports and SSL/L2TP VPN test
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've enabled pinging on my router and also wired my internet via power line adaptors, seems like upload-wise everything was fine last night as no one I was playing with had noticed any lag or desync, I did notice some erratic movement here and there from my online buddies but not so often, so it could've been a number of things. these are the results thus far.

https://imgur.com/4PgtscO 

https://imgur.com/iDMGCzn

0 Kudos