Menu
BlackMonk30
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

High Latency / Network Congestion / BQM

Gaming is impossible - 7 months and counting nightmare.

Would BT be a better option ?

4A5D2375-FF5E-4137-87FE-92F3AE928A20.jpeg

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Latency / Network Congestion / BQM

If there's capacity in the local cabinet (usually is, sometimes not) and the speed is acceptable, then yes.  Openreach have more stringent regulation than VM, and are far more careful to avoid capacity problems.

But I'd say avoid BT as an ISP.  It is simply an Openreach connection you potentially want, and so long as you're happy to avoid the expensively marketed large companies, then you'll get better service and support from the best smaller ISPs.  In my view Zen are the best compromise between the sort of package you'd be familiar with and good service, but that's a personal choice.  You might think that because Openreach operate the wires there is nothing to choose between all suppliers using them, and that is true when the connection works perfectly.  When it doesn't there's a country mile between the large, mediocre ISPs and those smaller expert ISPs, in terms of how easy they are to contact, how much interest they take in your problem, and their ability to get the best out of Openreach.  I've dealt with Zen on behalf of relatives, and they've been very good.

Phone up Zen (or AAISP, Aquiss, CIX, IDNet, uno) and see if they can offer a connection and at what speed, and check out their user reviews on ISP Review, or Trustpilot if they've got any - the smallest ISPs sometimes have little or no presence on Trustpilot, unlike most larger ISPs.  Do any of these reviews strike a chord?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Natalie_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HI BlackMonk30

Thank you for posting to us here on the Community. 

I have taken a look from our side and can see you currently have a utilisation issue within your area.

The team are aware of this and working to get it resolved. The details for the fault are as follows - 

Number:F008896794  

Estimated end date:30 JUN 2021 09:00

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused by this matter. 

Nat
0 Kudos
BlackMonk30
Dialled in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thank you for the update. 30th June would mean I have been experiencing these issues for 9 months as I first noticed them back in Oct, it could even be longer.

I'm not confident that the issue would be resolved by 30 June as I have been given fix dates previously which all come and go. Please take no offence to this but all the telephone technicians at your call center in India are not really qualified technicians, they only tell you what a normal person already knows which is to reboot your devices or reset them.

Engineer don't even know what latency is, there are lots of posts on here all relating to latency issues ( not download speed or upload speed ) Download and uploads speeds are fine and all my hub stats are in spec.

Latency spikes are a major issue for people who want to game, video call etc. as it makes these impossible as the connection is unstable.

After months of research and spending a lot of time taking advise and reading up on everything about routers, broadband, network infrastructure i set up a BQM ( Broadband Quality Monitor ) which confirmed the cause of my issues. Over Utilization on my network in my area due to Virgin not having to capacity to meet demands and the only resolution would be for Virgin to expand the capacity, which I am lead to believe this is something Virgin are unlikely invest in.

I would like a detail description of the works planned if possible please that are set to resolve this by 30th June as I'm pretty sure nothing is going to be done and Virgin are hoping  that the end of lockdown on 21st June will ease the congestion on the network. 

I think I speak for a lot on people on here that at the moment Virgins service is awful and filled by false promises, when would like honestly and not constantly being fobbed of and lied to.

Unfortunately I'm contracted to May 2022 and pretty sure that this time next year my issues will still be present. I will give it to the fix date of 30.06 then monitor connection by BQM for the following week and if not resolved i will be asking to leave without termination fee to allow me to go to BT

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Personally I wouldn't sit this out until May 2022, and I'd agree that a June fix is singularly likely to produce any change.  I'd suggest that you call VM to cancel the contract, explain the background and the problem, ask to be released from contract without penalty, because failing that you will have to escalate the matter to CISAS, the industry arbitration scheme.  Sometimes the agents see sense and put those requests through, sometimes they don't.  Don't be bought off by any promises of a fix, or offers of discounts or free speed upgrades.  If the agent agrees to release without penalty, that's the quickest and best outcome for you, and the cheapest and best for VM. In your shoes I'd be pretty wound up, so (speaking to myself) I'd be working to keep my cool, keep it polite - the agent will do what they believe is their job, if that's not good for you, then that isn't the end of the matter.

If VM don't agree to release from contract, don't do anything rash like cancel anyway, just report back here, sometimes the forum staff can help expedite a fix to get such a matter resolved without arbitration. Again, at that point a mutually agreed outcome is still the quickest and best outcome.

If all of that comes to nothing, then you'd use the VM complaints process (and almost certainly escalate for arbitration at CISAS ) to be released from contract without penalty.  That will be effective, but it involves more effort, and it isn't a quick process, so don't start down that route until we've exhausted options for a mutually agreed "clean break".  We can go through how you'd structure a complaint and the arguments and evidence to back it up if needed, so phone and ask, let us know how that first request goes, and we can take it from there.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi BlackMonk30,

I can completely see why you're frustrated with how these issues are affecting you, especially during online gaming and with the fix date that has been provided. I'll be happy to raise a complaint for you on your behalf via PM. Sadly there won't be much I can do to speed up a resolution for these issues, but we can look at the account side of things and review the entire experience you've had.

Please do look out for my PM at the purple envelope.

Kind regards,

Beth