Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

[Help] PS4 + Wired VIVID 350 - getting slow upload and download

Hey guys!

As the title suggests, I'm having issues with my network connection on my ps4.

The network is completely wired (CAT6 and gigabit switch + Nighthawk router) and set up with DMZ.

What I get on other devices (at all points in the network):

Download: 350MB

Upload: 35MB

What I get on my PS4:

Download: 75MB

Upload: 5MB

Has anyone got any idea what could be going wrong? I literally cannot play any multiplayer games or stream without constant issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: [Help] PS4 + Wired VIVID 350 - getting slow upload and download

Bump

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Anyone?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Whydidijoinvmag,

Thanks for your post, sorry to hear you are having slow speeds on your ps4, I can understand your frustration on this and I have run some remote checks and can see everything looks fine, I can see you are in modem mode can you please switch this off and I can run some further checks:) 

Thanks,

Zoie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Whydidijoinvmag Are those results from the Sony speed test?

the Sony speed tests are notorious for not showing the full speed of connections.  I have never seen the built in speed tests on my PS3 or PS4 Pro show a speed close to the speed my PC shows.  Some folks think that the PS4 Ethernet port is the bottleneck, but I suspect it is the Sony servers.  I have used the following speed test which works in the PS4 browser in the past:

https://testmy.net/multithread

It still doesn't show speeds as fast as on my PC but they are often faster results than the Sony test.  Make sure you pick the London server if you try that test.  

Having said that the issues with gaming and streaming you describe would not be caused by the Sony speed test being poor, but it would be interesting to see if that other site gives higher results.

I would suggest you take all the third party kit out of the equation as a first test to ensure that neither the switch or the Nighthawk are the issue and connect the PS4 direct to the hub.  Or at the very least check that there are no Quality Of Service rules on the Nighthawk that might be impacting traffic to the PS4.  I switched off QOS on my Nighthawk ages ago as it seemed to do more harm than good with my PS3 and haven't had it back on since. I now use a PS4 for gaming and streaming via a Nighthawk router with no issues.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

NEVER NEVER NEVER, did I say NEVER go by the Sony speed test on the PS4. It NEVER shows the correct speed.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello, gooner I have the super hub 3.0 connected with virgin media I have read that having the super hub 3.0 in router mode which apparently regardless of download speed will make every game lag I have no idea how to switch into modem mode or whatever these terms mean. Yesterday I had wired connection with download speeds of 70+ mpbs which is absolutely above average according to multiple forums and every fifa game online feels exactly the same as if I’m playing wirelessly, button lag, momentary split delay lags. I have read what you need to do but I need assistance desperately it’s stresses me out I can’t play a couple of games of anything online or play with friends online. I have read about setting up your own router I have found a gaming ASUS router for 83£ but now my wired connection cannot obtain my IP address how do I found out my IP address because it isn’t picking it up via wired connection now, it’s all so confusing. I will need instructions via telecommunication you would be an absolute life saver if you could help me out do you have any way contacting you via call. Because I don’t want to end Virgin media switch to bt and the problem is the router is in router mode and not modem mode because I have no idea how to switch a router to modem mate. You can contact me via my email it’s [MOD EDIT: Personal info removed]

0 Kudos