Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Have Sony now capped the downloads as promised?

At the end of March Sony announced they would be working broadband providers in the US and the UK to reduce the bandwidth taken up by downloads in order to maintain PSN and stop it from going down in times where demand will be higher than ever on their network. Push Square have published an online article stating they now believe those deductions have started to roll out. Im hoping that's what's happening with me because a 21 gb game which would take 19 mins before is down to take two hours now with downloads moving at 6 mb per second as opposed to the usual 40. It will start off around 40 then gradually go down to 6 per second. Others are saying they have noticed the slow down on downloads only and gameplay remains unaffected. Has anybody else experienced this slow down with downloads? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Have Sony now capped the downloads as promised?

well what is your download speed on speedtest.net from a PC. if its faster then the PS4 then its sony

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Yes, they have now capped it. I've had a few people so far thinking their internet was really slow or a WiFi issue.

Your download may start at a high speed but as it goes on, it will diminish to basically a trickle for higher speed internet. People with slower internet may not have noticed any difference though.

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

Fancy £50 off your bill? Ask me how and you might just get it!

I am a Service Field Technician at Virgin. However, all responses on here are based on my experiences in the field alone and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Harvey have you heard that just based off my posts on other threads or have you seen other people talking about this? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have seen other people talking about it and I didn't know if it was true or not. So then I asked around within Virgin Media and they confirmed the Sony PSN throttle.

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

I am a Service Field Technician at Virgin. However, all responses on here are based on my experiences in the field alone and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

PSN has always been slow, no matter what speed your connection was. If they make it slower it will be like dial up speed.

I did a download of Death Standing last week, only took an hour. I put my PS4Pro into rest mode, this seems to always bring downloads quicker.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry but I have to say this throttle is unacceptable. I understand they have to throttle it somewhat to maintain the service but my speeds have just plummeted to a ridiculous standard I'm not getting the speeds I'm paying for and my files aren't downloading at the rate they should. 

I've put GTA V into download its a 74GB file which would normally take me now I'm paying for Vivid 350MB and I Could normally download that file in roughly 40 mins it's now telling me itsgoing to take 6 hours to get it done.

I'm furious. Like I say I understand It being lowered but I may aswell be with sky or any other service provider that uses poxy open reach based on those speeds. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sony are capping it Nick. Not VM.

Any other ISP will get the same speed, if you want to be furious and complain to someone, aim it at Sony.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

James I understand that Im just a little bit curious as to if it is the cap because that seems excessive. I'm starting to wonder if it's an issue with my connection. Sony were confirming they were cutting speeds on the 24th March and the issues have started this week? That seems a bit late with the announcement happening late March. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It could have been a estimated date as it wouldn't be an overnight thing on full staff, but they probably have less staff able to work just like VM too.

This is only a thing for the US and UK as far as I am aware, but they could have expanded it to other countries/soon will.

0 Kudos