Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Gigabit connection, but frequent lag issues

Hi,

I signed up and had installed the Virgin gigabit service last Tuesday (the 5th) in Area 21, Southampton. It seems OK, about 21 mS with Gears of War 5 on the Xbox One - however, every now again, perhaps once or twice in a 30 minute window there will be a connection issue of somesort, lasting half a second or so.

Well I say a connection issue, the connection has dropped all the packets for half a second or so resulting eventually in a server update warping you to where it has predicted you should be. This is obviously no good at all, and it's gone on consistently for a week now.

Is there a known issue here or something that needs to be escalated ?

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gigabit connection, but frequent lag issues

Hi RichyD, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us. 

We are sorry that you are having issues with the connection. 

Can you confirm if you are still having issues with the service? 

How is the service at the moment? 

What speeds are you getting over the speed test?

Kind regards 

Chris. 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Sorry I didn't really respond before. Yes it's still an issue - today it is particularly bad (19:00pm on 4th December) which is motivating me to follow-up.

The SamKnows test is fine and it shows no packet loss (well it would do). However it is nearly impossible to play games with Microsoft on my console at the moment due to the persistent packet loss that it occuring, a serious lag event every 20 or 30 seconds.

Years with Plusnet - can't remember this issue once. Month with Virgin, nearly every day multiple packet loss events (although not every single day).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Suggest you visit thinkbroadband.com create an account, and set up a Broadband Quality Monitor.  That'll keep track of your internet connection in terms of latency and packet loss.

As an example only, here's mine for Hub 3 200 Mbps connection, which today is showing some ropey performance across peak times with those high level spikes:

My Broadband Ping - VM number 2

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, I've just set one up.

It's been particularly awful (I tried to game this lunch time for an hour or so). Virgin need to sort these problems out.. it's not fit-for-purpose. You can't have it fine one evening (last night) and then unplayable the next day.

Running the SamKnows test seems to force some kind of smoother performance for a while, maybe kicking 1.1 Gbps of data across the networks forces a different traffic profile for a while, or something.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

RIght here we go, terrible packet loss when I was playing on Xbox Live, from around 10PM through to 1 AM

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The above seems to be a live feed so I've taken a snapshot for permenancy, I then went on to you my connection to update apps on my phone until 3 AM. What that enormous spike is at 5 AM I would have no idea at all.

Screenshot_2019-12-11 My Profile thinkbroadband(1).png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I would have loved to have uploaded a png.. which appeared nicely in the upload editor.. and then total fails to render anything but this "warning" icon. I see my Virgin Media experience has been terrible so far, which in fairness, is what all my friends & colleauges warned my about.

Here's a shot from my own storage:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi RichyD

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the Broadband.  Can I ask is this happening whatever you're doing online, or is it specifically linked to Gears of War?  

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Looks suspiciously similar to the issues I am having RichyD.

0 Kudos