Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Gaming ping spikes/variance

I have unplayable lag for the past 5 weeks, I am a semi-professional CS:GO player. I make income from playing this game and it requires a constant and spike free connection. I have around 350 down and around 35 upload. The speeds are completely fine but all games are unplayable. I will "rubber-band" which is essentially teleportation constantly. I bought a gaming router the xr300 from netgear as I heard the Hub 3.0 was awful for gamers but I have had no luck. I am very close to just buying BT as i never had this issue before with them. If anyone has any last ditch attempts, id love to hear them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gaming ping spikes/variance

If you're making money from on line gaming, then why put up with VM's latency prone connection regardless of the current problems?  With perseverance and patience you'll stand a very good chance of getting the rubber banding fixed, but the technology of cable means that you'll have a 5ms penalty on average latency against an Openreach line, AND you'll have regular 20-30ms spikes on top of those. And for gaming you only need what, 10 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up? For most of us, that latency penalty on cable is tolerable because we're not gamers or (as in my case) not good enough for it to make a difference, but sounds different for you.

Here's my VM connection "working as normal" - red is where it is off on an overnight timer, compared to a relative's £30 a month FTTC Openreach connection (for a small village in the middle of nowhere):

My Broadband Ping - VM number 2My Broadband Ping - Bretforton

As a gamer, which would you rather have?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks