cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming ping problems

Micki86
Joining in

Hi all.. just recently moved to gig1 hub5 from bt.. The ping is way out of control and making gaming impossible for the likes of cod and fifa.. unfortunately I’m just out of 14 days cooling off period or I would get rid asap.. Anyone tips how to reduce the ping a touch? I’m using a cat 6 Ethernet cable to my ps5 

10 REPLIES 10

Micki86
Joining in

IMG_1751.png

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Micki86 

I'm afraid you need to repost the BQM again, but this time remove the IP address.

Have you looked at the /service-status  checker? You can also a run a test on your equipment from there.

If nothing is showing  you could also try the  Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more local issues down to postcode level.

Check all of your cabling, especially the white coaxial cable, and make sure it's snug and tight and free from all kinks.

There are a lot of tech guru's on the forum that can look into your issues, so you need to post your hub stats.

When posting the hub stats they need the full details from the Router Status page. So please  copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here (not screenshots) – from the Downstream, Upstream, & Network Logs pages.  You will probably see an error message when posting the Network Logs, just ignore that and press Reply (or Post) again,  as that's the forums inbuilt systems removing the MAC addresses  from that log.

Can you also  go to https://samknows.com/realspeed/  and run the full test there and post a screenshot of the result?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

carl_pearce
Community elder

What sort of ping response are you getting?

Create a BQM here if you haven't already and post the live link (Personal data including IP address is automatically removed when using the correct link).

Keep in mind the ping vs bt is going to be higher due to the technology VM use on their infrastucture (20 - 30ms, with higher spikes, is considered normal depending which part of their network you are on (FTTP / XGS-PON VS HFC / RFoG).

A faster connection is not always better when it comes to gaming.

Clearly didn’t do my research.. just was coming to a end on my bt which wasn’t that great to be honest.. seen the virgin offer and thought wow.. don’t get me wrong the speeds are great but as a gamer it’s not the right provider for me

Hi Micki86,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you've been having on the broadband service. 

Have you been able to check out the suggestions from the other users posts on this thread?

^Martin

Just can’t believe how bad your service is.. I moved to virgin to decrease my latency and ping and it had has almost trebled, using a wired connection and only 3 devices using the Wi-Fi

IMG_1756.png

Hi @Micki86, we're sorry to hear you feel this way 😔

Thank you for posting the BQM. Have you also covered all the other advice provided?

Regards,
Daniel

I’ve tried everything possible by just even 1 device connected like ps5 with wired connection and try playing fifa.. the ping is sitting like 48-52.. my bt was only 14 or so