cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming lag

Crosby
On our wavelength

My son tells me his ping is awful and his games keep on freezing on his PC - he's telling me to go to another provider.

Other than leaving VM any ideas how I can fix things and stop him moaning?

He is connected on a wifi connection mostly, he has a powerline / wifi booster in his room but experience is the same with our without the power line connected.

We are on a 100MPS package from VM?

He just said he was kicked out of a game earlier with a ping spike to 1000.

Does this sound like something fixable or a known issue with VM for gamers?

18 REPLIES 18

They'll check your connection and say it's fine, as long as you're getting the speed they don't care about the quality of the connection. Search Google and do a buffer bloat test and see what grade you get. Their service is shocking including customer service. Tech support need better training. I've given up and got BT installing in January.

Hi Rsimpson911,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've been having with your broadband connection. 

I have attempted to locate your account on our side but have been unsuccessful. 

I would like to look into this for you and so will private message you to get some details. 

^Martin

Hi d6m6dem6n,

Thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear you feel this way regarding our help to customers. 

I can assure you we will always do what we can to assist where possible. 

Looking over your previous posts, it does look as though you had an engineer visit booked in earlier this month. How did that go? What was advised by the technician?

I have also located your account and seen you have spoken with multiple agents regarding this. Can you confirm if the issue you're having is affecting both a Wired & Wireless connection?

^Martin

Hi, engineer came, no joy, still getting lag and high ping spikes, buffer bloat tests show a grade c rating, basically unusable for online gaming. Upgraded to 1gig today with hub 4 and still got a shoddy connection, speeds are there but still getting lag and bad ping spikes. Got BT installing on the 4th January. I'm using wired connection on a cat 8 1metre cable, also tried it on WiFi but speeds are worse and still getting lag, you need better modems.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @d6m6dem6n,

Thank you for the update.

I am sorry that the engineer was unable to fix this and that you are leaving us soon. 

I do hope you have no issues with your new provider.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

So that's it, you don't care about losing customers, I've even bought a new router and it still does it, you should check your forums because it's obvious virgin media connection is no good for gaming even though you advertise it. It's overutilization in the area, you are doing a rupull in January bit I doubt this will sort the issue. BT are installing on the 6th so will be forced to leave virgin media. I never had this issue before they did the improvement works, can't you get the network team to investigate, the lag spikes are shocking.

Hi @d6m6dem6n, apologies for our previous post. We do care about our customers, and we are sorry to hear of your issues. I can see you have another thread on the go with us regarding the same issue. If you can please stick to one thread so we can avoid any confusion, and best assist you. We will be replying on your own thread here - please refrain from multi-posting. 

Hopefully we get this sorted for you! All the best, Molly. 

Molly

d6m6dem6n
On our wavelength

Well after multiple engineer visits you've finally told me it's a congestion issue, peak times I'm getting latency symbols and lag, supposed to be fixed within a week, can't see the overutilization congestion issue been fixed after reading your other forums, oh and BT works great, no lag, no latency symbols. And city fibre were round here the other day installing so when that's live you will be losing a lot of customers in this area. Shame after been a customer since telewest times that I'm forced to leave, but after useless tech support calls and phone been put down on when your staff have either no clue I'm left with no choice.

Thanks for updating us d6m6dem6n,

We are sincerely apologise that we could not resolve the ongoing internet issues you're experiencing. We would not want to lose you as a customer, however we understand your reasons for cancelling your account with us.

We wish you all the best for the future.

Kind regards Jodi.