cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming lag

Crosby
On our wavelength

My son tells me his ping is awful and his games keep on freezing on his PC - he's telling me to go to another provider.

Other than leaving VM any ideas how I can fix things and stop him moaning?

He is connected on a wifi connection mostly, he has a powerline / wifi booster in his room but experience is the same with our without the power line connected.

We are on a 100MPS package from VM?

He just said he was kicked out of a game earlier with a ping spike to 1000.

Does this sound like something fixable or a known issue with VM for gamers?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Gaming over wifi is not ideal, but if you're seeing ping over 1000ms then that's very unlikely to be the fault of the wifi.  Do a few speedtests from a PC or Mac connected to the hub by a network cable, particularly at peak hours and see if you're consistently getting the full contracted speed, because poor latency ("ping" to the masses) is often associated with speed problems.

Also, a job for your son if he's old enough, get him to visit thinkbroadband.com create an account and then set up a Broadband Quality Monitor.  That will continuously monitor the quality of your cable connection although it will need to run for 24 hours before there's any useful data.  Then post a link to a snapshot chart of your BQM in a reply here, and we'll take a look.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Hi Crosby, 

That's all booked in for you now, once the engineer finishes their work can you monitor the performance and let me know if the issue has rectified please?

Thanks 🙂

Megan_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

18 REPLIES 18

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Gaming over wifi is not ideal, but if you're seeing ping over 1000ms then that's very unlikely to be the fault of the wifi.  Do a few speedtests from a PC or Mac connected to the hub by a network cable, particularly at peak hours and see if you're consistently getting the full contracted speed, because poor latency ("ping" to the masses) is often associated with speed problems.

Also, a job for your son if he's old enough, get him to visit thinkbroadband.com create an account and then set up a Broadband Quality Monitor.  That will continuously monitor the quality of your cable connection although it will need to run for 24 hours before there's any useful data.  Then post a link to a snapshot chart of your BQM in a reply here, and we'll take a look.

Crosby
On our wavelength

Andruser, thanks for your input. I've just ordered an exterior grade Ethernet cable so with a few open windows we can hardware to the router to test if it's the wifi reach or an actual service issue.

Regarding the BQM, does this need to run on his pc or could I create an account on a different device and check it that way?

Thanks again

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

The BQM is run by Thinkbroadband's servers, there's nothing installed on any of your devices, and it can be checked by logging in to your Thinkbroadband account from any internet device anywhere (so for example, I keep an eye on an elderly relatives Openreach line through a BQM set for their IP address as well as one for my own), there's nothing installed on either my computer or theirs.  And because the BQM is simply sending a ping request to your router, you can happily turn off other equipment if that's how you normally behave - only the router needs to be switched on.

Good idea to test the lag with a cable, but be aware that lag problems tend to be high unpredictable, so you may want to try that for a day or two if that's possible.

Hi Crosby, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue looked into - and thanks Andruser for giving your advice.

I've done a health check on your services, Crosby, and can see an issue with your Input Levels on your broadband connection, this is usually rectified with the help of an engineer call out. 

I'll send you a PM now so we can chat about dates and times for the engineer visit, just so you know someone over the age of 18 needs to be present in the property when they arrive. 

Speak to you soon.

Megan_L

Hi Crosby, 

That's all booked in for you now, once the engineer finishes their work can you monitor the performance and let me know if the issue has rectified please?

Thanks 🙂

Megan_L

Hello
I start have similar issues with games. Unfortunately all other players use BT or Sky so i cant compare to any of them my game issues. is there any chance you can run test for my network. I would like to add my router not been change from 3-4 years

d6m6dem6n
On our wavelength

I created a post about lag and rubber banding, can you sort mine out please, its unusable between 8pm and early hours. If its not sorted by the time sky install then I'll be leaving, sick of getting fobbed off from customer services and useless tech support, especially at the price I'm paying. It's no good for gaming.

Thanks

An unhappy customer as usual.

Hi @d6m6dem6n,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with lag and rubber banding when gaming. We can understand this is not ideal and want to best help. I have been able to access your account using forum details and I can see you have already contacted our team regarding this and have an appointment booked. Please let me know how the appointment goes and if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi is there any chance you could do an health check on our services as been struggling with online gaming for a long time.