Menu
Tyler97
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Gaming is unplayable

Guys gaming for me is becoming unplayable I use the virgin wifi boosters as powerline straight into my ps4. I cant get a smooth running game anywhere the speed test on my phone is giving over 100MS on Jitter. And really high ping. Can anyone help please becoming a real problem

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gaming is unplayable

Unfortunately any powerline or WiFi adapter will slow down your connection.  Some are better than others, and every environment is different. For instance, powerlines can suffer from electrical interference on the mains circuit.

Is there no way you can run an ethernet cable to where you use the PS4? 

0 Kudos
Tyler97
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No mate I'm upstairs right above the router cant exactly run it up the stairs under the carpet as it runs the carpet

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you are upstairs you may be on a different mains circuit which will reduce the effectiveness of the powerline. 

In your place I would be investing in the best WiFi access point I could afford, and adjusting its position for the best signal upstairs. 

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

First of all I would try the game whilst connected directly to the Hub by Ethernet cable, preferably with a cable known to be good.

If the game plays fine whilst connected directly to the Hub, then indeed it is noise on your electric mains causing the problems, if not it could be a local circuit or another problem affecting the connection. It would be wise to check first.

0 Kudos
chris676
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

just ask virgin to install the virgin equipment in your room with your ps4. it will be £90 charge.

0 Kudos
Tyler97
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

How do I get them to do that mate? And what do they install? 

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You can call customer services on 150 and ask them to come and move their Hub to another room. This will mean re-wiring from where it comes into the house. You'll have to pay them to do this. 

Bear in mind that moving the router might mean a different room will lose WiFi coverage. 

Personally I think you would be better off spending your money on a separate Access Point rather than paying Virgin to move the Hub. 

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Some of thoughts.
You can get flat ethernet cable, although running it up the steps themselves wouldn't be good with all those corners, but maybe you could hide it under the banister or something.

You can use a cheap router of off ebay as an access point, just make sure it has gigabit ports, works well here, but you'd need to run an Ethernet cable from the hub to the access point.

To get the best performance make sure it connects with 5G, change the SSID if neccisary.

My Ethernet cable gets upstairs because I have a couple of built in cupboards so drilled a hole through the floor inside them..

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Super solver
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Tyler97 wrote:

No mate I'm upstairs right above the router cant exactly run it up the stairs under the carpet as it runs the carpet

You could run a cable externally and drop it down to the Hub that way ?   Others on this Forum have successfully done this.  You can add a small switch to the bedroom end for other devices into the bargain. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos