Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Gaming and having to use a VPN

There are many threads on the issues with online gaming using Virgin Media broadband.

I have been a loyal customer for over 20 years and have never thought about changing to another provider, but this is slowly changing over time.

Some would consider that I am far too old to be playing games, but this is something I have enjoyed for probably over 35 years since I was in my teenage years and home computers were just coming into the market place. I have very fond memories of Horace goes Skiing, Manic Miner and such games.

I mainly play World Of Warcraft, along side other online games and have for many months been suffering with disconnections while playing. I'm not talking a couple of months, this has been an issue for at least a coupe of years. Getting far worse over the last year.

I can have at least 20+ disconnections from World of Warcraft in a day, and that's every day. Raiding is painful and over the last few months trying to do any form of Mythic+ dungeons is out of the question unless its with guild people that know of the issues, as I could get 3 or more disconnects in 1 dungeon.

2 weeks ago I installed a well known VPN and in that time i have had just 2, yes 2, disconnects.

I enjoy the game again and can do things without thinking that I am constantly going to disconnect from the game.

There is clearly an issue with the Virgin Media infrastructure /network routing that is affecting many many customers.

I am not going to post pointless tracerts and such as I believe that there have been many hundreds already posted within these forums for the issue to have already been looked into and an answer given as to why these issues exist.

This issue has been going on for far too long and as a customer that has been loyal for over 20 years I am asking Virgin Media to answer why I have had to pay for a VPN on top of what I am already paying Virgin Media to get the service I should already be receiving.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gaming and having to use a VPN

If you dont want to post "pointless tracerts" the best advice we can give you is change supplier.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You need a new script.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

or keep paying for a provider that isn't right got you. But why would any ISP change anything when people pay and stay anyway

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Brilliant informative post Celery, thank you for taking the time to explain something that fixed your issue. Sad that you're met with some of the replies i'm seeing

I take it this would obviously only work for a PC/Laptop, and gaming consoles are out of the question? I mean, getting disconnections is different to button delay so I'm assuming it works very differently.

0 Kudos