Menu
Frustrated16879
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Gaming Router

Hi,

I am experiencing latency issues and some limited packet loss on my connection, had an engineer out who has checked everthing at my end and replaced cables etc. The issue is still present. The engineer was very honest and advised that it is is likely an infrastructure/utilisation issue most likely caused by the increased demand at the moment.

Would investing in a gaming router where I can proioritize the gaming connection make any difference? Does anyone have any experience of this resolving the issue or is anyone willing to recommend a suitable router?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gaming Router

If you game with the hub in modem mode is it any better? if not a new router likely will not help.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Gaming Router

Save your money.  Gaming routers are just normal routers with a jazzy paint job and thirty quid uplift on the price.  And as an over-utilisation problem is between the cable modem side of the hub and the CMTS gear at the head of the local coax network, you can buy any router you want and it won't make a blind bit of difference.

At the moment the only likely fix is to wait for lockdown to end, there's nothing VM will do to fix a problem they hope to be temporary. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks