Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Gaming Packet Loss

I signed up for Virgin Media and got it installed last Wednesday. Very happy with the speed for streaming but have noticed the download and upload speeds noticeably spike and fall occasionally.

My major complaint is to do with gaming. Despite using an ethernet cable for my PS4 and restarting the router multiple times I get a packet loss to Apex Legends of between 6 and 10 which makes it very very jittery. Any possible solutions for this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gaming Packet Loss

The packet loss issue sounds like mine back in December. 

I left it for a while hoping it would fix it self.

When I finally contacted the broadband team they blamed my PS4. I ended up coming here and no one would believe me when I said it is down to congestion. 

The dam burst so to speak when the lockdown hit and still waiting to get my utilisation issue fixed now.

Feel free to read my own post for more details, you could be waiting a while....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just read through your entire thread on this issue. I live in Central London on a street full of flats so it seems likely the congestion is causing the issues same as you. Can I ask what package you are on? I am on Broadband only M200. I was thinking of upgrading to M350 as right enough the strain I am putting on my broadband is quite high with online gaming and both me and my partner working from home.

If this doesn't work I would switch immediately to BT to see if their service is better here. Life's too short to be making excuses for these companies right now, if a better service is offered elsewhere I will take it.

I get that covid is putting extra strain on ISPs but ultimately I have just moved from central Manchester where I had BT and not experienced any noticeable drops in ping. I moved to Virgin for the fast download/upload speeds but ultimately what is most important to me is stability and avoiding packet loss which virgin seems to be struggling with here. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Currently on M200 mate. I was on 2mb download speeds 10 years ago and had a smoother experience playing modern warfare 2 on ps3 than what I have had this last 6 months.

I don't think upgrading to the M350 package will make a difference unfortunately.

It would be worth setting up a BQM on thinkbroadband.com and posting your upstream, downstream and network logs from your hub.

Hopefully someone from the forum team will be along to help you soon. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Aye I think that was probably wishful thinking on my part for an easy fix. This morning I hopped on Apex to check how it's getting on. Between 0 and 2% packet loss with 21m/s ping, so buttery smooth for the most part. And this was even with my partner also using multiple devices on the wifi.

Seems like it is probably a congestion issue in our area at peak times which, while understandable in the current climate, is quite frustrating and I really hope that this can be fixed shortly as obviously I can only really game at peak times.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi PatersonK21,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry you're experiencing some problems at the moment, I can appreciate you're keen to understand what is happening. 

There is currently a congestion issue in your area which our team are working on getting fixed. The fault reference number is F007912027 and the estimated fix time is 24th June 17:05.

Whilst you can't get updates yourself, you can always ask one of our team and we can let you know.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That's great thank you for the quick response, hopefully that sorts it! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hiya, just to confirm has this fix been carried out? Thank you! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

From looking at all of the replies and posts on this forum VM is not fixing any of the congestion/over-utilisation issues. They just provide you with a fault number and a fix date some time in the future, once that date comes, they move the date a month or so into the future again. All they're doing is buying time until more people go back to work and use their VM internet less so they don't have to spend any money to fix the actual issues.

My latency has been absolutely terrible as seen below since early March and been given around 4 different "fix" dates.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/6ed863521fdb2ed3e9bf9181384fa91c90f74e4b-25-06-2020

Virgin Media does not care about this and will not provide any compensation because "speeds look fine, try restarting the router". Gaming and working from home is pretty much impossible due to these latency issues.

I hope your issues are fixed but from looking at this situation since this has began, I would not get my hopes up. If you're still within your 14 day cool-off period, I would look into cancelling the contract and looking elsewhere to have a more stable connection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Good luck getting issues fixed anytime soon. 

I'm on my 5th estimated fix date which is 29th July and i doubt anything will be done then.

As for compensation, I got 3 months back which was £30 (may depend on your package) the other day thanks to a very helpful lady that was covering at the Retentions Department. I mentioned about compensation many times on this site but no one said it was possible.

Be sure to contact Retentions every 3 months to get the compensation. It's better in your pockets than in this robbing companies for sure.

0 Kudos