Menu
dhammy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Gaming - Latency / Jitter issues

I've been having issues with latency/jitter for the past couple of month but its slowly been getting worse to the point its now making games unplayable. I notice most in wazone, the latency measure in game is best 38ms but spikes to ~200ms often making me rubber band and causing massive delay with shots.

Tried all the usual stuff and most recently ran a cat 6 cable in case it was the wifi but its exactly the same. I'm using a linksy wrt1900 router with a hub 3 in modem mode. 

They are building loads of new house around me and virgin are the only 60mb + provider in my area so I suspect over usage on the network. Its impossible to get hold of anyone at the minute though, seems to be the covid excuse... 

I was hoping to get a bqm set up as evidence for when needed but can't get it working. Its all red..

dhammy_0-1606907762204.png

Any idea on what I can try to get that working or even rule out it being my end even further?

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gaming - Latency / Jitter issues

Make sure you have enabled ICMP ping response on your router.  Also just check you have the correct WAN IP set in the BQM.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
dhammy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Would the correct I.P be the one that shows if i google 'whats my ip'? I've checked that and it is different than the one that it seems to pick up but neither seem to work 😞 I can't find anything called ICMP ping response on the router but have turned off every filter I can find with no luck 😞

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes, 'what's my IP' is the one you want. 

Check out the FAQs on  https://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/broadband-quality-monitor

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

And when your BQM is using the correct IP address, restart your hub.  There's a bug where the hub will sometimes stop responding to incoming ping requests - a restart usually cures this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

dhammy
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Managed to get BQM working but its not good! You can see as soon as I get to around 4pm it shoots up.

[url=https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/48b03a7a8e649eb05679e6acd24416ec3c06ec1d]My Broadband Ping[/url]

I managed to get through to VM's Indian call centre today after an hour and a half on hold to be told its all fine.....Obviously not.

Is my best option to go elsewhere at this point? Everything I'm reading says these kinds things are rarely fixed.. 😞 

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I agree that's pretty bad.

Your local area is clearly overloaded, and that seems to be pretty common.  Trouble is that the whole network is being used far more heavily than it was designed for.  

dhammy
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So last night was awful

dhammy_0-1607689611126.png

This was after a call where they told me it was fixed and nothing was wrong! 😞 what's my next step from here?

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well you can make an official complaint, but I doubt that will get very far. The only real answer would be one of the following:

1. Hope that your area is on the list to be upgraded for more capacity

2. Wait for an end to the current network overload due to everyone working and meeting from home.

3. Change to an Openreach connection and hope they have more capacity. 

Sorry if that isn't very encouraging 😞

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sound advice from @jpeg1 there.  

Why not keep VM for a few more weeks, get an Openreach connection in in the meanwhile, and then see how you get on with the speed and latency.  If it turns out not to be an acceptable performance, cancel using your 14 day cooling off rights and you'll only be exposed to (at most) any initial setup costs, and there will be no disruption (other than the already shoddy quality) of the VM connection.  If Openreach turns out to be an excellent low latency connection (as most are) then you cancel VM.  

Before choosing a new ISP, check out the smaller customer-focused ISPs on the right hand side of this page, and for all ISPs you might consider, make sure you read customer reviews both on ISPReview and Trustpilot.