Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

(Gaming) Cannot begin communication [2][9][3]

Hi, I have not been able to connect to a game I play regularly through the Virgin Media network. If I use a V.P.N I can connect to the game.

The error code that appears is "Cannot begin communication [2][9][3]"

I have posted this on the games forum and also through the games Discord F.A.Q's, both of them state that it is my ISP where the fault is.

The following statement is from the Discord F.A.Q's

How do I fix [2] [9] [3] error?
The issue may occur when your Internet Service Provider changes your IP address in the middle of process. If you use a dynamic IP, it may be changed by your ISP frequently. Please make sure your Internet service and its quality stable. For more information, contact your ISP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: (Gaming) Cannot begin communication [2][9][3]

Hi IaninDoncaster

Thanks for posting and apologies for the delay in response. 

I am sorry to hear you are having troubles accessing a particular game. 

I can confirm that we do use dynamic IP addresses.

Nat
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nat, thanks for the reply.

So any clue as to how I can connect to the game without having to use a VPN?

I have played the game for a few years now and this is the first time I have had this issue. If dynamic IP addresses are the issue then why has it taken so long to show.

The reason I started to use a VPN was due to the poor quality/stability of my connection, I put this down to the extra network traffic due to lock-down and living approx a mile from a hospital that was possibly getting network priority.

My ping in the game was 32 - 36, without VPN, and over the last year or so it has increased to 40+ and rarely 32 - 36. The game server is in Frankfurt, a Aws server (Amazon). I am aware that once my connection leaves the Virgin network things can change and there is very little that can be done hens the reason I started using a VPN which has given a stable connection. As soon as my ping to the game goes above 44 I start to teleport in the game, head for a doorway only to teleport and face plant the wall lol. When this happens I go to speed test sites to see if it is my connection to the game or V.M, unfortunately it has been V.M. My speed at times drops to around 70 (it should be 200 down) and very unstable.

The test sites I use are https://speedof.me/ and https://testmy.net/. Speedof.me shows how unstable the connection is with the animated graph it uses. It also shows where the test server is located and this is always Manchester when I use it. I also go to the V.M Service status and if there is a issue with any of the services it always affects my connection. Currently there is a issue in my area and has been for maybe 2 weeks now and it is the same issue the whole time and has not been resolved (My are ref is - Area reference 14) .....

You might find that you are not able to watch . on your Virgin Media TV Catch Up or On Demand service at the moment. We are sorry about this, our engineers are working to resolve this as soon as possible.
Our engineer is working to fix the problem.

Sign in to get updates
Fix estimate
16 November 12:00
Customers unable to manage devices on TVGO affecting IOS, Android and Desk Top users. We are sorry about this, our engineers are looking at fixing this as soon as possible.
Our engineer is working to fix the problem.

Sign in to get updates
Fix estimate
16 November 12:00

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Would you believe it, I have just started the game and I can now connect. No idea what the reason was/is but normality now resumes.

Thanks
Ian
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi IanInDoncaster

Thank you for getting back in touch. 

Well although I would love to take credit for the it working, I can confirm we have not done anything from our side.

Have you ran a speed test today? If so, what results are you getting please? 

Nat
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@IanInDoncaster wrote:
Would you believe it, I have just started the game and I can now connect. No idea what the reason was/is but normality now resumes.

Thanks
Ian

Hi Ian

I'd guess that the game servers were blocking your VM IP address and now are not.  I see this on here occasionally with PlayStation users who are unable to connect to PSN and it is due to Sony (or their security provider) blocking an IP due to suspicious activity.  This suspicious activity is usually not game related but is triggered by unusual traffic from Malware on your LAN or even something seemingly innocuous as running a Plex server that scrapes data from the web.

The issues usually resolve themselves, as in your case, because none of these IP bans are permanent.

Technically VM IPs are dynamic, rather than static, but they are very sticky and rarely change.  I have had my current one for a few years.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all for your input. SCA1972 everything you have said makes sense and had crossed my mind too. I have been with V.M since the BlueYonder days lol, yup a very long time.
0 Kudos