Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

GAMING UNPLAYABLE HAVE TO LEAVE AFTER 20 YEARS

• After reading online i know there is no point trying to sort my problem with gaming on virgin media been there for 20 years at 3 different addresses and used to promote them to friends/family but the last 3/4 years it's got so bad, im a gamer and have the best technology for gaming XR500 for Geo filter qos pick an choose my servers but was puzzled why my gaming is so poor after lookibg through all ny hardware and runing numerous trace routes and ping plotting over some time the fault clearly lies with the hops (routes it takes) packet loss lag spikes terrible on an expensive 350 package with only 35 upload up to europe with 100 upstream and america 1000 symetrical, now virgin is not the fastest in the uk anymore does anyone know the best gaming isp? I dint even care about the speeds just the quality of the line ive phoned virgin but talking to someone in another country who thinks we are so stupid we dont know anything like have you restarted your modem if i mention there's a problem denial denial denial makes me so angry i would like to get it fixed if you could only speak to a good cs agent but most dont care, so if anyone has got it working with virgin or knows a great gaming isp i would appreciate your help happy new year and good gaming many thanks 
  • TOM
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: GAMING UNPLAYABLE HAVE TO LEAVE AFTER 20 YEARS

First thing to say, how sure are you that this is VM's fault?  Lately there have been a lot of complaints about latency and dropouts when gaming to European servers, and mostly the causes have been well outside VM's network and control.

If you're sure that there's a VM connection fault, and you are prepared to persevere through this forum, there's a decent chance the problem you have can be diagnosed and rectified, without having to deal with VM's appalling offshore customer service.  If you want to do that, then I suggest you do the following: Connect to your hub and look at the router status (might need to take it out of modem mode?) and post here the Downstream, Upstream and network logs tabs.  Do a series of speed tests at speedtest.net and consider setting up a Broadband Quality Monitor at Thinkbroadband.com as that can help diagnose some issues, even though VM don't recognise its output as authoritative.

If you do want to move, then you (most likely) need an Openreach ISP, but I'd suggest you avoid the large brands like Sky, Talktalk, BT/Plusnet, Vodafone etc, because they all have the same mass market cookie cutter approach that results in agents who don't understand nor care what ping and jitter mean, and technical support that don't have a clue how to get the best out of Openreach.  The best ISPs for service are smaller companies like AAISP, uno, IDNet, Zen, Aquiss.

At its best, VM (as per your previous experience) is OK for gaming, but bear in mind that a decent DOCSIS connection will always be inferior to a decent Openreach VDSL connection.  Compare the two BQM's at the bottom of this post - my VM £70 a month connection is by general standards pretty good, and that's the chart VM number 2 below.  But it's still got a skanky thick band of yellow peak latency and some .  Now compare that to the following chart, which is a £30 a month 35 Mbps VDSL Openreach connection provided by Zen.  A bit of a difference in terms of latency, I know which is better for gaming, and it sin't the pricey VM connection.  Incidentally, the red fringe that shows as dropped packets is a behaviour of the Fritzbox router that Zen provide, which occasionally rejects ICMP ping requests (which compares well with the Hub 3's habit of ignoring incoming pings for days at a time).

My Broadband Ping - VM number 2

My Broadband Ping - Bretforton

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: GAMING UNPLAYABLE HAVE TO LEAVE AFTER 20 YEARS

Quality graph ping spikes Having exactly the same issue and some crazy ping spikes fails every other hop its dogs hit.

Also have an XR500 tried it with and without even upgraded my package thinking maybe the upload is too slow.

0 Kudos