Menu
Viper-t
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

GAMING UNPLAYABLE HAVE TO LEAVE AFTER 20 YEARS

• After reading online i know there is no point trying to sort my problem with gaming on virgin media been there for 20 years at 3 different addresses and used to promote them to friends/family but the last 3/4 years it's got so bad, im a gamer and have the best technology for gaming XR500 for Geo filter qos pick an choose my servers but was puzzled why my gaming is so poor after lookibg through all ny hardware and runing numerous trace routes and ping plotting over some time the fault clearly lies with the hops (routes it takes) packet loss lag spikes terrible on an expensive 350 package with only 35 upload up to europe with 100 upstream and america 1000 symetrical, now virgin is not the fastest in the uk anymore does anyone know the best gaming isp? I dint even care about the speeds just the quality of the line ive phoned virgin but talking to someone in another country who thinks we are so stupid we dont know anything like have you restarted your modem if i mention there's a problem denial denial denial makes me so angry i would like to get it fixed if you could only speak to a good cs agent but most dont care, so if anyone has got it working with virgin or knows a great gaming isp i would appreciate your help happy new year and good gaming many thanks 
  • TOM
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: GAMING UNPLAYABLE HAVE TO LEAVE AFTER 20 YEARS

First thing to say, how sure are you that this is VM's fault?  Lately there have been a lot of complaints about latency and dropouts when gaming to European servers, and mostly the causes have been well outside VM's network and control.

If you're sure that there's a VM connection fault, and you are prepared to persevere through this forum, there's a decent chance the problem you have can be diagnosed and rectified, without having to deal with VM's appalling offshore customer service.  If you want to do that, then I suggest you do the following: Connect to your hub and look at the router status (might need to take it out of modem mode?) and post here the Downstream, Upstream and network logs tabs.  Do a series of speed tests at speedtest.net and consider setting up a Broadband Quality Monitor at Thinkbroadband.com as that can help diagnose some issues, even though VM don't recognise its output as authoritative.

If you do want to move, then you (most likely) need an Openreach ISP, but I'd suggest you avoid the large brands like Sky, Talktalk, BT/Plusnet, Vodafone etc, because they all have the same mass market cookie cutter approach that results in agents who don't understand nor care what ping and jitter mean, and technical support that don't have a clue how to get the best out of Openreach.  The best ISPs for service are smaller companies like AAISP, uno, IDNet, Zen, Aquiss.

At its best, VM (as per your previous experience) is OK for gaming, but bear in mind that a decent DOCSIS connection will always be inferior to a decent Openreach VDSL connection.  Compare the two BQM's at the bottom of this post - my VM £70 a month connection is by general standards pretty good, and that's the chart VM number 2 below.  But it's still got a skanky thick band of yellow peak latency and some .  Now compare that to the following chart, which is a £30 a month 35 Mbps VDSL Openreach connection provided by Zen.  A bit of a difference in terms of latency, I know which is better for gaming, and it sin't the pricey VM connection.  Incidentally, the red fringe that shows as dropped packets is a behaviour of the Fritzbox router that Zen provide, which occasionally rejects ICMP ping requests (which compares well with the Hub 3's habit of ignoring incoming pings for days at a time).

My Broadband Ping - VM number 2

My Broadband Ping - Bretforton

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Liddiard1985
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Quality graph ping spikes Having exactly the same issue and some crazy ping spikes fails every other hop its dogs hit.

Also have an XR500 tried it with and without even upgraded my package thinking maybe the upload is too slow.

0 Kudos
lav_98
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have been experiencing the same issues. The latency spikes have been horrible to the point where any game is unplayable. As somebody that plays competitively, this is the last thing I should have to worry about. I have been trying to get through to them for the past 6 months and an engineer came over and said the latency is going to be bad because that's when they do works...... During the day. Between 2am and 9am, it's acceptable and how it should be throughout the day. I am not sure on what to do. I have monitored my connection with thinkbroadband and the results are shocking. The maximum latency matches up with the in-game latency during the hours. 

This is the graph: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/view/55832daa23b75e4b23d1ccc23c839baebbc...

You can see how bad this affects gaming. Please, someone, help me. Thanks.

My plan is 200mb with Superhub 2. Have the superhub 3. Its even worse.

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi lav_98

Thanks for your post

I've not been able to view your graph via that link, are you able to resend this for me?

Can you also tell me how the connection has been when you've not been gaming?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
lav_98
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well, as latency is the biggest issue I have low issues with connection and speed when downloading and streaming. But as you know the gaming issue is only getting worse. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/e54098e92ab24b0f238e135771368d60cb391e0f

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@lav_98 Bad news, I'm afraid.  Your BQM is showing the clear signs of what VM term "over-utilisation" (I'd say 98% certain on my part), which means they've sold more contracts than your local network has the capacity for.  Sometimes these get fixed by network improvement, but only if there's a viable investment case for the company (ie lots more users can be connected).  Sometimes all that happens is that VM issue a fault reference, but don't do anything other than keep moving the fix date as it gets close.  I don't believe the forum staff don't have visibility into whether plans to fix exist, or there's just the ever-moving fix date.

As a general rule, I'd regretfully say to anyone suffering over-utilisation not to wait and hope, but to get a new ISP. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

AlanFife
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am having the same issues my friend been with them since the very start over 20 years and i am done, I am on the 500mb package (VIP) BQM showing latency spikes and latency not below 60ms all night tonight switched console off. If its just a SH3 issues as i have been told on numerous occasions why are we not getting this SH4 which is suppose to eradicate these such issues or is this another false promise?

Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@AlanFife Start a new thread, we can check out your connection.  It may or may not be over-utilisation, and it might be resolvable.

Regarding the Hub 4, you'd only get one if there is an over-utilisation problem recognised by VM's network operations; That would also need to be classed as a continuing issue, not a transient Covid related issue, nor a marginal problem likely to clear through customer churn.  And your local network needs to be operating on the DOCSIS 3.1 standard, which only covers around 25% of VM's network at the moment.  Even if you'd appear to still qualify, there's a progressive roll out, so it could take months.

Also, I don't know if the provision of a Hub 4/DOCSIS 3.1 immediately solves that customer's utilisation issues, or whether it is a "slow burn" solution that requires most customers on the segment to have been put on a Hub 4 before it delivers the intended results.  Note that I haven't used the term "upgrade" for a Hub 4, because I don't believe it is - check out some of the weird issues other people are complaining about after they've got a Hub 4 before being quite so keen to get one!

0 Kudos
grochmal
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I need to argue the same about HUB 4.  I remember that I was very resistant to get HUB 3 years ago.  And HUB 2 (not sure if it was even named that back then) was the one that worked best for me.  Upgrading to a new hardware does not necessarily solve the problem.

That said, I share a lot of OP frustrations.  These days (lets call it COVID time) internet service is important to people more than ever - and the network is overorused in many places.  I'd argue that it is rather evident that more than normal problems will occur.  Yet, VM does not invest in its problem resolution service but instead does customer service tickboxing.

I'm no PPPoA (or PPPoE) connectivity expert but I do know how to dissect TCP/IP networking to the bone, and can build throughout statistics on it - been doing this for years, for work.  Yet, VM has no interest in using that to solve the problems.  Instead it is an approach of "if I''m not currently calling the customer service I am not having a problem".  And the customer service objective is only to make sure I'm not calling them.

It is not the set of problems that is causing the frustration.  It is the fact that who gets problems solved are the people who shout louder and are very good at mildly threatening people over the phone that get things solved, instead of the people who spend weeks debugging the problem and collecting statistics on it.  If there is one thing VM needs to work on is the customer service treating someone showing a kindness as a weakness - a person who can be rid of easily.