Menu
InCole
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Frequent lag spikes and package loss on multiple online games (Apex Legends, CoD etc...)

Hello everyone,

Mostly hoping for some tech support here I've already called Virgin Media but after a long wait the support was not so good and they were unable to help me and just said from their end the line looks "fine" so hopefully someone on the forums can provide better help.

I live in Hatfield and get days where online gaming is nearly impossible due to the lag spikes and package drops I get on Apex Legends, COD MW & Warzone and pretty much any online game for that matter.

I've had BQM running now since February 2021 so you can really see the daily issues I get with BQM measuring lag spikes into 100+ range on some days and high package drops so clearly something wrong with the lines in the area here.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/7a11550dae8fb013350f745f1c81c869f9188f5c
0 Kudos
Natalie_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Frequent lag spikes and package loss on multiple online games (Apex Legends, CoD etc...)

Hi InCole, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community.

I am sorry to hear you have been experiencing issues when gaming. Are you able to confirm if you experience issues whilst using any other devices?

We have ran checks on your equipment and I can confirm that there are no issues showing and all levels appear to be running within specification. 

Thanks 

Nat
0 Kudos
ToffeeSurprise
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Frequent lag spikes and package loss on multiple online games (Apex Legends, CoD etc...)

BQM shows classic overutilisation pattern assuming the live graph is showing your typical line performance, even if I've seen worse oversubscription - none of us can see your historic graphs only the live one.

Rule of thumb is that 99 times out of 100 if the problems start in peak hours it's Virgin Media overselling the area.

Since Nat can't see a fault ticket it means it hasn't reached the level that network health checks have raised a ticket, meaning Virgin Media are almost certainly going to do nowt. Even if there was a fault ticket these take months and months and months, plenty of others here will be more than happy to tell you the dates given are meaningless.

Best bet is to vote with your feet if you can. Otherwise unfortunately you've got a long period of laggy gaming ahead of you.

risc19
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Join the club mate, gaming is hit and miss at the moment.

Mine is crap, but not crap enough for them to call it a fault.

My BQM is similar to yours (maybe worse), an yes I get the same response from virgin.

risc19_5-1617790643482.png

This is my experience on virgin media...

https://youtu.be/ObE1hhOCQ74

Anything like yours?

My Broadband Ping - 1GIG HUB4 Router mode

HUB4 1Gig Router mode
InCole
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

As per BQM you can see it is the connection itself and not device orientated.

But just for reference, I am playing on a gaming desktop with wired connection straight to the Virgin Media router.

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi @InCole

thanks for your post  back and sorry this is still ongoing. 

After taking another look at your account it does still seem okay to me, there are no faults or outages, but did notice you haven't pin hole reset in a while. Would you mind just carrying one out, the we will take a further look and get this sorted out for you if that's okay 🙂 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos