Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Fifa lagging speeds of 500ms

Hi all,

I've seen a few posts about this, however from those that I have read, the help seems to be on a personal basis so was wondering if anybody could help me here?

I've always had issues with playing Fifa online since moving house (this includes pre corona virus era). The speeds can go as crazy as 600ms which is awful. My internet speeds constantly fluctuate in the area that we live. However,  we "should" be getting speeds of 100mbps.

We stream Netflix, Disney+ and use the internet regularly, which all work usually fine. However whenever I play Fifa it lags like hell! After speaking to the fifa representatives, they have guided me to complete certain speed tests. After sending them my results, they have said "there is a packet loss during hops" and that I should contact my internet provider. I don't really know what this means but I'm hoping someone does and can help me to fix this.

Thanks all

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fifa lagging speeds of 500ms

Hi

Are you using a wired connection for gaming or wirleess? 

Cheers 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Go modem mode with you own router. The SH3 is useless for gaming.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Tried both. Was hoping for an improvement witu wired but to no avail!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I am not that technical! Are you suggesting getting a new router or changing the internet settings?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Or changing the internet settings on my modem and then getting a new router?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Also, just seen the cost of the router that you use. Was hoping for a solution that would be a little less costly. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The SH3 was not designed for gaming. Its ok for viewing websites / email / streaming.

Its useless for Gaming, VM know this, most beta testers told them years ago. Why do you think they GIVE IT AWAY FREE.

When the SH3 is in modem mode, its behaves a lot better, and with your own router sorting out all the gaming. All is fine.

I game on PC, PS4Pro (both wired), Xbox (wireless) with out any issues. Its been like that for years.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Superhub 3 is definitely not the best solution for gaming, but RedGooner, you're potentially misleading people by telling them their problems will be fixed by switching it to modem mode and buying/connecting a new router. The vast amount of latency issues that people will be having on these forums at the moment will be due to the millions of people now working from home and slamming their internet connections instead of being at an office, along with Virgin Media's classic oversubscription.

OP you can tell if the router is the issue if you switch it to modem mode and plug your device into it via a wired connection. If the connection is still poor after doing this, it's probably oversubscription (or possibly a poor connection).

Also, it's worth noting that there's a difference between speed and latency. Speed is how fast your broadband can transfer data (e.g. 100 Mbps), and latency is how long it takes for a packet of data to go from one place to another (usually measured in milliseconds). Because online games rely on quick response times, it is your latency that you'll want to be looking at. 500ms is an absolutely terrible latency, and I'd go as far as to suggest that this might be due to a problem on your line rather than oversubscription; however, there's no surefire way of knowing until someone from VM support gets back to you! I've been trying for the past few days now to get an explanation for my terrible latency, and have still received no word.

My Broadband Ping - My Virgin Media M4 connection
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

This is great! And makes sense too! Hopefully someone from Virgin Media gets back to me about this! Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos