Menu
MrGulag
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Extremely High Latancy

Hi all,

My connection has been horrendous all year. Last time i spoke to virgin they said it was over ultilisation. Is there anything that can be done with this problem? If not how do i go about leaving without paying a leaving fee? 

Here is my BQM;

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a41c360ff365044efe3f9d9b3c540120cd...

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Extremely High Latancy

Yep, that BQM is over-utilisation. 

It would be nice to think that Virgin media would act reasonably and responsibly when their network's incapable of delivering a service of adequate quality, but a recent instance in these forums showed that the company (or rather their retentions agent) couldn't give a tinker's cuss about a customer subject to VM's curse of over-utilisation, and intended to use the minimum contract period to hold the customer to ransom.  On the assumption that is how the company wish to play it, the following comments apply:

Quickest way out if you're in contract is to carry out a series of speed tests between 8-10pm and see if you can record one or more instance that is below 50% of your minimum guaranteed speed, and then do that for two further days, keeping copy of any tests where speed is below the minimum.  Speed tests must be from an ethernet connected device and use Speedtest.net  Then raise a complaint with VM about the poor latency AND the failure to deliver minimum speeds, demanding both are fixed in thirty days or that the company release you without penalty.  If they don't fix it within thirty days then you phone (or write) and cancel, citing the failure under the speed guarantee, accompanied by speed test results showing the failure.

Sometimes latency can be poor without materially affecting download speed.  If that's the case then all your tests will come back as well above the guaranteed minimum.  The tactic in that situation is again to complain, but the basis is that the poor latency makes the connection unfit for gaming and videocalls, and that such a poor connection fails the requirements of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which states that services must be provided with reasonable skill and care.  Your complaint should also say that if they cannot immediately agree to release you without penalty, then you require a "deadlock letter" for the purposes of escalating to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS.  CISAS are similar to Ombudsman Services, your complaint will get a fair and impartial hearing, and the costs (regardless of outcome) are paid by VM, and their findings are binding on VM.  If you need to escalate to CISAS request compensation for the prior poor quality service, the inconvenience and poor handling of the complaint, and backdating your monthly charges to the data at which you initially asked to be released from contract.  If VM don't issue a deadlock letter, then you can still escalate to CISAS, but only 8 weeks after the complaint was acknowledged by the company.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

MrGulag
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the detailed reply. Its such a shame because I've been with VM for years and I've never had a problem until March of this year.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@MrGulag wrote:

Thank you for the detailed reply. Its such a shame because I've been with VM for years and I've never had a problem until March of this year.

Timing suggests it could well be upload saturation due to working from home, and all the office workers on video calls*.  If you really don't want to change ISP, and you expect the world to move back to what was the normal mode of office-based work for white-collar staff within a few months, then you could wait and hope that situation will resolve itself.

* A DOCSIS cable system offers upstream bandwidth about 10% of download bandwidth.  When somebody has a video call, they're using 5 Mbps both ways.  So although that seems a fraction of just about any single user's contract, it is a much bigger proportion of the "upload contended allowance" that VM will apply then their "download contended allowance".  The same occurs in the evening with Twitch sufferers**, and because there's fewer opportunities under Covid to go out, there's more evening gaming.

** Who's worse?  People who stream their gaming on Twitch, or the people who have so few better forms of entertainment that they feel compelled to watch these streams?***

*** You may gather that I hold an opinion that Twitch has made the world a modestly worse place.  Sorry**** to all who are offended.

**** Yes I sincerely meant that.*****

***** OK, I admit I didn't.  I've had my asterisk fix for today, so I'll leave it here

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos