Menu
Lockewarren1970
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Extend wifi range

Hi All, never used a forum before so go easy! I have just had installed yesterday virign broadband 500MB (landline and tv). The engineer put the router in my office downstairs. I have installed this new system purely for my son to be able to game, yet the speed upstairs is not much better than my previous provider. I have ordered a virgin wifi extender (horrified that they actually charge for these £5 per month!!!!), but they don't come with an ethernet port and my sons gaming computer does not have wifi. I have absolutely no use whatsoever for 500MB in my office (30MB was enough for me), customer service (when you finally get through) are so rude and unhelpful. basically told me that the only guaranteed they give on speeds is to the router and not to the entire house.. in some rooms I only get 18MB... I am thinking about removing the whole thing to be honest!

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extend wifi range

wireless speeds are not guaranteed. Test should be done wired.

you say "I have installed this new wifi purely for my son to be able to game" then you say "my sons gaming computer does not have wifi"

So the problem is not clear. you got wifi for a device that has no wifi?
0 Kudos
Lockewarren1970
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

sorry, I wasn't clear.. on all the research I did I was told that I would be able to plug my sons computer into the ethernet.. then the engineer said the router could only be installed downstairs, I know I can buy a wifi connector to plug in to his computer but this does not solve the fact that the speed range is so small.. 500MB in the office with the router 18MB in the kitchen next door and even less upstairs!

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

not sure i understand what do you mean you were told you could plug in my ethernet.

you can. you can run an ethernet cable upto 100m without problem
0 Kudos
Lockewarren1970
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.. didn't really want to run a cable that far round the house from the main hub. Having spoken to virgin again today and being mis informed on several points by the engineer they have suggested I pay £99 to get the router moved upstairs to solve the issues... Thanks Virgin.. maybe if they had listened to my requirements in the first place, they could have done this to start with rather than me pay another £99... so far a total of 6 hours on hold when I have been ringing them.... is their customer service always that bad or is there a secret number that I don't know about?!!!

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

don't pay £99. VM will just tack the coax cable around the house to the upstairs room so for about £20 you can get a cat6 cable and run that yourself the same way. then you can get a wired connection upstairs
0 Kudos
Lockewarren1970
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Really?.. Ok thanks.. I thought they would drill through the outside wall into the room upstairs that I want it in and put a new cable in for the router.. thanks for the tip!!

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

you say - tech said hub could only go in the office or words to that effect

rubbish - if practical the hub should have been placed where you wanted it - that said there were some restrictions in the 1st lockdown about the install being as simple as possible - not sure thats still the case and afaik the arrangement then was that they would move the hub at some later date foc

so if you cannot run a lan cable which is easy enough then post back and i will flag the thread to vm to get some clarity on moving the hub

Tony
0 Kudos
Lockewarren1970
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony,Firstly, I think I was partly Naive in thinking that by paying for 500MB to the house, that although this would drop slightly as it progressed round the house that to drop to 18MB in the room next door to the hub was not what I expected. I have the booster due to arrive on Saturday. The engineer tested all the rooms and told me not to worry as boosters were supplied free of charge.(they are not and charged at £5 per month per booster).. we will definitely need 2 if not 3 (one in the kitchen one of first floor landing and one on the top floor). My son's booster that he used before has a ethernet hub on it to plug in to.. virgin say that the ones that they supply do not... I wasn't asked where I wanted the router put, just told that either the lounge (where virgin tv was installed) or the office were my choice of location. I have looked at ordering a 50m ethernet cable which will reach my sons room, but this will look unsightly travelling up the stairs etc. I think had I been aware that the speed of 500MB (the only draw to switching supplier) was only achievable to such close distance to the hub, I wouldn't have paid out to change suppliers.. I really though that even if it weakened through the house we would still achieve 200MB in the rest of the house! not 18MB!

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hmmmmm - a couple of things in there need picking up - the pods are free on the 1gig package and the top of the range package - other than that you are correct they are chargable at £5 month - i assume thats each - the best advice on here is forget them and buy your own - ok a £100 + outlay but if you need 3 at £5 each per month then the maths make no sense

there is a lan port on them but i have not tested it - they are a known brand but configured for VM s a bit like the usb ports on the hub the lan port may be disabled - i will have to test it on mine

the lan cable can be run outside - i have 2 like that - if you cut the end off a 6mm hole throught the wall or a window frame is enough - then back in and crimp a new end on - connectors - crimping tool and testers are available on ebay and the like - if you dont fancy crimping a new end a 12mm hole is needed

wifi is still a black art not helped by the poor wifi on the VM hubs - if you were going to choose a wifi device the hub would not be on the list

so look at what you have ordered with the pods - if they work for you then the decision is do you want to pay £5 - £10 or £15 a month for ever or look at a solution you pay for once

if the latter there are many options - a 3rd party router or a mesh system to name but 2 - if thats the way you decide to go post back here for advice - you will get t in spades

Tony
0 Kudos