Menu
-Matt-
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Evidence of poor latency for complaint

Here is my BQM data for the last month, this clearly shows that I'm experiencing very poor latency and reduced speed.

Package is M200 but speed (speedtest.net) is typically 60-80Mbps down and 20Mbs up. I'm using a SuperHub 3 in modem only mode, with gigabit wired connections for most devices. I've tried resetting everything multiple times and have run the online test and have checked service status in my area, all come back saying that there is no problem.

There are many other threads here that show similar BQM data and the conclusion seems to be that there is congestion in the area due to working from home. (I suspect that the building of many new homes nearby has also greatly increased the load here). VM seem to have subscribed far more customers than their infrastructure can service.

I currently don't have a BT landline so changing to another ISP will be costly; additionally it doesn't look like it will be a good option as I'm over 2km from the exchange and BT online check says my line is "impacted" and the best speed I should expect would be about 40Mbps.

The main reason for posting this data is as evidence for a complaint (hopefully I will be able to refer VM staff to this). This situation has been going on for many months now, however, I've posted a month of data showing unacceptably bad internet provision. The minimum I expect from VM is an apology, information about what measures are being undertaken to address this issue, an estimate of the date this will be fixed and reimbursement for recent broadband charges.

stacked_small.pngstacked_small_2.pngstacked_small_3.pngstacked_small_4.png

0 Kudos
-Matt-
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Evidence of poor latency for complaint

^ I didn't think this was too much to ask but apparently what VM do is just hang up on you after you've spent 1hr 50m being passed from one department to another. 😠

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Overutilisation is, as you already know, more common now with lockdown. I doubt very much if VM will compensate as it's not a complete loss of service. As for a fix, could be a month, could be years. If an Openreach type connection is not possible, have you thought of a 4G/5G router? If you live near a mast, the performance can be quite good.
0 Kudos
chippin-2669
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Same here, the only time i can play online games is after midnight to 8.00am, basically they have over subscribed to customers and there network cannot cope with the demand, i have contacted them many times and just keep being told they are working on the issues, been like this now for 2 months, and then they are increasing the prices in March, the only way this will change is when lockdown ends. Virgin Media.jpg

0 Kudos
-Matt-
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Indeed, on the phone I was told that VM didn't give any sort of warranty for latency, their technical support was only able to assist in cases where the specified speed was not reached and they would only consider reimbursement in the case of total connection failure.

Furthermore the agent told me that VM internet was not really suitable for gaming.

4G may be an option, sadly no 5g here yet.

I really think that Ofcom urgently need to set out some standards for expected service level that include cosideration of latency.

How is a customer supposed to compare the offerings of different ISPs when no data on reasonable latency expectations is provided?

How can it be right that the quality of the service offered by the ISP can be dramatically reduced, with no notice, mid-contract? At that point the customer is trapped in the contract and the ISP claims nothing is wrong because latency was not specified.

Actually, I've been a VM customer for a long time and I'm sure that the marketing material when I first signed up boasted that VM internet offered a lower contention ratio than other providers and made claims that this would never exceed some value (I think it was 50:1).

0 Kudos
-Matt-
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I can't believe VM are marketing based on gaming performance and yet tell existing customers suffering with appalling lag that their service is not really suitable for gamers.

https://youtu.be/VDzu2DHtWac