Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Enough is enough time to leave

Packet loss packet loss.. makes gaming online unplayable I can’t deal with it as I am getting smacked around for having a trash wired connection with 100 mbs download speeds, hell I pinged google and I was getting packet loss there too wth, can’t tolerate it anymore

any experts out there able to help me with a reason to leave the contract without any penalties? 

‘Failure to provide adequate services as promised’ etc 

plz get in touch. This issue will never get fixed whilst on virgin media plain and simple I’m done. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Enough is enough time to leave

I assume you're in a fixed term contract with exit penalties?  In that case you can't leave without paying the often extortionate penalty, if you rely solely on the contract.  As you are aware, VM's only guarantee is a paltry "half speed" guarantee, and even that's been suspended at the moment (an aside: Can you imagine a car or phone maker suspending its warranty because of Covid?  No, me neither, but that's VM for you).

However, if you can marshal compelling evidence, then there's a very good chance that you can get out, but it may not be quick.  In outline, you bring together your evidence, raise a formal complaint with VM following their Consumer Complaints Code of Practice.  In that complaint you notify the company that packet loss and latency problems that your evidence shows that the company is not providing an acceptable quality of service, and is in breach of the requirement of the Consumer Rights Act 2015, which states that services must be provided with reasonable skill and care.  Explain that you wish to leave immediately and without penalty (outcome 1), and if the company are not willing to do that you require them to issue a deadlock letter (outcome 2), as the matter will be escalated to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS at the earliest opportunity, and failing both outcome 1 & 2, you will escalate to CISAS after the eight weeks that CISAS rules require (and in that case you will also request compensation for prior poor service, and full refund of the charges during the eight weeks.   As you can see, although CISAS has good outcomes for customers this is a slow process.

In terms of what counts as compelling evidence, I assume you have prior complaints to VM that can be called on, or posts in this forum?  I would assume you've got a Broadband Quality Monitor running, and have saved snapshot charts on your computer?  Maybe Pingplotter? 

And there's a possibility that the forum staff can intervene to either get your connection fixed (would that keep you?) or to enable a discrete exit without penalty. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The simple fact that since being with virgin media my online gaming career has been a total nightmare with packet loss issues, I can’t play Fifa competitively like this, I am at a disadvantage because of the consistent packet loss, guess when the only time I’m not getting packet loss? When no one is using the router! Now I have tried this with only my PS4 connected and everything else switched off, still I get packet loss of every 3 that is sent to a fifa server or google 1 returns as a lost packet 33%, I can’t continue like this I can literally break into the top 100 for Fifa with a perfect connection but I can’t whilst I’m continually getting packet loss, I need some answers as to why this packet loss issue is still continuing, I have had an engineer come by a few months ago (2 ‘months perhaps) and had addressed the poor levels of the router however this did not fix the packet loss issues, even modem mode doesn’t help the issue, I have to now contemplate forking our for a gaming router? When this router should be doing an adequate job just doesn’t sit right with me but it’s the only option, doesn’t look like the packet loss will ever get fixed whilst on virgin media, 

on top of this I had spoke to ea advisors as to why I am never connected to my local game centre and they had said that my isp is bouncing me from other servers rather than my local one which is the London server, what is exactly going on here?? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The simple fact that since being with virgin media my online gaming career has been a total nightmare with packet loss issues, I can’t play Fifa competitively like this, I am at a disadvantage because of the consistent packet loss, guess when the only time I’m not getting packet loss? When no one is using the router! Now I have tried this with only my PS4 connected and everything else switched off, still I get packet loss of every 3 that is sent to a fifa server or google 1 returns as a lost packet 33%,

Yeah, I understand, I sympathise.  But that's complete gobbeldegook to 99.5% of the world's population (maybe more).  When I said "marshal compelling evidence" you need to do that.  If you can explain it to your grandmother so that she thinks she understands, you're getting somewhere.  But even then if can't be just "Waaaahhhh!  I can't play Minecraft", it has to be measured stuff as well, like measured ping, measured latency, a BQM (you HAVE set one up?), plus anecdotal support (calls to VM support, complaints in these forums or elsewhere).

You can complain all you want, you can be as right as Einstein, but if you can't convince somebody who is politely sceptical and only moderately well informed on tech, you won't win the complaint.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos