Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Disconnections from Blizzard games

I have been with virgin for years and, overall, I'm pleased with the service. One thing that is really grinding on me though is when I'm getting randomly disconnected from games, most notably Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft. With the launch of woW classic these disconnections have been particularly bothersome because of the server queues. As my boyfriend and I play on the same hub, when both of us get disconnected only 1 person has queue protection and the other is forced to sit in a 4-5 hour queue to play again.

I contacted Blizzard as perhaps it was an issue on their side. After sending my MSInfo, DXDiag data and WinMTR reports, they concluded that the problem was from my ISP's side. Here is the response that I got from them:

I had a look at the WinMTRs provided and so far we can see packet losses on the 3rd node of the connection.
Packet losses can be the cause of disconnections and, considering how the connection works, the issues have to be sorted from the very first problematic node (as the rest is just cascading from that point onward).
The 3rd node in question is still handled by your provider, so you should simply get in touch with your ISP and mention to them that there are possible problems on the specific node (you can provide the exact node name by looking at your own WinMTR files).

renf-core-2b-xe-901-0.network.virginmedia.net is the 3rd node in which they are speaking of.

Is anyone else having these issues? Has anyone managed to fix these issues?

And more importantly, can anyone educate me a bit on 'nodes'? I don't want to phone up customer services and just be told "oh no, there's no problem that we can see. Bye!" as I have been told in the past.

With my bill going up by £5 a month, I'd really like to get this sorted. Failing that, it might be time to try sky afterall....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Disconnections from Blizzard games

Basically how it works is when you are playing WoW for example you send a packet of data from your PC, through your superhub, through your UBR (Universal Bridge Router) then onto each node, a node is like a bus stop where your packet of data passes through to reach it's final destination being Blizzard servers.

However if the 3rd node as you have been told is showing packet loss regularly then that would cause a lot of connection problems along the line after the 3rd node no matter if they have no problems at all.

The 3rd node appears to be the Renfrew UBR which I believe is in barrhead.

A good thing to do is set up a quality monitor at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality and create a new one, you will need to log into your superhub and change the setting under Advanced Settings > Security > Firewall and turn off IP flood detection

As shown here

shubset.jpg

Once done your quality monitor will work and talk to your Superhub and record the responses, if the UBR is showing signs of packet loss it will for sure show up on the Quality Monitor.

The site for the monitor will give you links for the forum to show your QM here, or save the day as a picture you can upload when posting.

Also just for the sake of making sure bases are covered, can you post the Downstream and Upstream values from your Superhub also?

Majide!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Here's a link to the quality monitor I had set up yesterday.

My downstream is -0.75

My upstream is 51.00

If I'm providing the right numbers there. Again, I'm not too savvy in the world of superhubs. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emmurder,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community 🙂

Sorry for the broadband issues. I've ran a check in your area and all seems fine. Has everything now been resolved? Let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

No, I'm still having the same issue. I contacted Virgin Media via the messenger and was told that everything looks okay from their side, however I have tried everything from my end. I truly think there is a fault with the superhub causing packet loss (I read somewhere that it can cause that), but was told because my speeds match the package that I'm on my superhub is fine...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I have been having the exact same problem. Had no issues at a friends house. Brought my machine home and constant disconnects. Tried all of the wow support no joy. I just downloaded a trial of a VPN and so far I have had no disconnects! it is definitely something to do with Virgin's connection to blizzard. Is there anything that can be done as I am not paying £10 a month for a VPN to play a game.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Huh, never thought about using a VPN before. It'll be interesting to see what Virgin Media's response to that one is, because surely that's proof that it definitely is something on their end. Like you, though, I refuse to pay monthly for a VPN so that the service that I'm already paying loads for (and the bill goes up this month by £5!!!) will work properly. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The VPN I used you can get a free 1 day trial - https://www.cyberghostvpn.com/en_US/vpn-free-trial

If you want to check if that fixes the problem for you. Like you said, its a identifier not a solution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Emmurder wrote:

Here's a link to the quality monitor I had set up yesterday.

My downstream is -0.75

My upstream is 51.00

If I'm providing the right numbers there. Again, I'm not too savvy in the world of superhubs. 

Can you screen cap and post those for us?

If you've 4 upstream channels and they are sitting at 51, it needs sorted.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Here you go. How would I go about getting this sorted? Do I need to contact Virgin again?

(I tried uploading the pics directly but it wouldn't work so I've had to use imgur)

0 Kudos