Menu
Samzon
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Delay when gaming online

This has been a problem for so long now and I've got to the point where I'm just straight up frustrated. I play games competitively but whenever I game during the day and standard peak times in-game feels extremely delayed.

When I play the same game after midnight the problem goes away, the game feels flawless.

How can I fix this problem? I am at such a disadvantage when I play during the day due to having this unknown delay problem. Online games just feels extremely sloppy yet my ping and latency seems completely fine.

What can I do to fix this? I'm using a wired cable aswell, why and how do I get rid of this obnoxious internet delay when I game online during the day and peak times?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Delay when gaming online

If the problem is caused by over-utilisation, then the only reliable course of action is to try a different ISP.  Over-utilisation is where VM have sold more contract to customers around you than the cable network can support.  But we don't know if that is the case.

Setup a Broadband Quality Monitor as that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a LINK to a LIVE, SHARED graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post the link immediately.

0 Kudos
Samzon
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I think I have used this before. I will do it on Tuesday when I will play most of the day and have it running.
Switching ISP won't be an option as of now I don't think (stupid family) and such.

Would there be no other work around such as upgrading the package? I can't believe I've been paying this money but the internet is just not usable especially for gaming competitively, I play games and make money as a hobby on the side and this is affecting my drastically.
0 Kudos
jem101
Community elder
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Absolutely do NOT think about upgrading the internet tier, I promise you that it will do precisely nothing other than make VM ever so slightly richer (more accurately less debt ridden), and you poorer.

We can’t be sure until we get a look at the BQM but your description is very suggestive of congestion (usually on the upstream) at peak times caused by over utilisation as @Andrew-G says.

Here’s a thought though, rather than switch ISPs if that isn’t a possibility, there’s no reason why you couldn’t have a second connection via Openreach (ie say BT over the phone line) as these are entirely separate from VM’s infrastructure. Despite popular belief, high speed is not required for gaming, low latency is and generally an Openreach connection is generally better in that respect.

Samzon
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

OK this might be awkward, seems like i had a test running for over a year and i completely forgot about it. this is what i had when i logged in apparently.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/0793bb7253505192c65f05d87456ebde6bb573fb

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Link not working for me.  Even if you can get it to work, you need to check that your current IP address is the same one the BQM is tracking, and IP addresses can and do change.  Some seem almost permanently fixed, others change, possibly down to VM doing work on the system.   

0 Kudos
Samzon
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

ugh i stopped the thing running, does that also delete the results i had?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I believe so.  Just set up a new one.

0 Kudos
Samzon
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

i did, should i post after 24 hours?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

If you click on the link to share a BQM graph and select the one for a "live" graph, you can post that, and as long as your BQM runs, anybody following that link sees the most recent 24 hour trace.  So if you posted it now and it has say 14 hours of data, anybody following the link in ten hours time would see a full 24 hours of data, and if they looked on Wednesday, they'd see the 24 hours data looking back from when they clicked on the link.

0 Kudos