Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Degrading connection ethernet connection

Hi, I have had this issue for a long time, approx 10 months. I have not approached this due to the probable high network traffic during the lockdown and, living inn very close proximity to a Hospital.

Around 12:30 pm until 20:00, my connection slowly degrades to a extent, multiplayer gaming is pointless.

Here are two screen shots of the speed test I do and the graphs that show how bad things get.

1st image is what I class as normal/good quality.

2nd image is the very poor quality.

Normal quality.pngBad quality.png

Anyone know or have the same issue?

Area reference 14.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Degrading connection ethernet connection

Hi Ian

Are you seeing normal performance outside of the time frame you mention?  This could be a utilisation issue where the segment of the network you are on is struggling with capacity at peak times.  Pre lockdown peak times were evenings and weekends, so these patterns were easier to spot, but more recently peak times are less consistent and can be from 8am to midnight in some areas.

The VM area code is a billing code rather than a geographical area, so not relevant for tracking local area issues.  It relates to the cable company that originally operated the franchise in your area and many operators had franchises in different parts of the country.  I'm guessing from your username you are in Doncaster, but it may not even be a Doncaster wide issue (if it is indeed an area issue and not a line issue).  I'm in Wigan and so far have not experienced utilisation issues in the time I have been with VM, but I know some parts of Wigan have suffered with it in the past.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Welcome to the "wonderful" world of Virgin Media!

Seems this issue is systemic across the VM network. I'm in Solihull and from 8am to midnight the network is so over utilised it's a joke. Dropped connections, DNS outages, packet loss and latency spikes anywhere from 400ms to seconds! 

I foolishly upgraded to Gig1 back in early summer of this year and the experience has been dire with no end in sight. 

I hope you have better luck in getting this sorted. I work from home so my frustrations of being a VM customer start from the moment I log in to work at 9am and continue throughout the day. I've had to stop gaming in the evening now as it's been so bad its not worth switching on my xbox. Even streaming iPlayer content requires two or three restarts during watching any program to just get through an hours of programmes! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes I am in Doncaster DN2 area. I am not upgrading anything until this has been sorted and the quality improved for at least a 8 month period.

I also want to upgrade my rig but, what's the point of doing one last, very expensive, build to suffer like we are doing. Wander if fibre to the home would have the same issue instead of this docsis stuff.

Starlink maybe a future alternative, 49% faster than fiber and eventually connect anywhere on the planet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VM have the monopoly in our area and I doubt I'll see FTTP any time soon. I'm tempted to force cancellation given the lack of service i've been having and switch to 5G as it's faster than OpenReach FTTC speed and cheaper. I can put up with the loss of Gig1 speed if i get stable latency and constant connections.

0 Kudos