Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Daily Packet Loss

Hello

I've been experiencing packet loss daily for over at least a month after subscribing to Gig 1 and a SH4. After seeing similar posts I've been logging it with Thinkbroad to keep an eye on this but it isn't getting any better.

The images below are from today and another that's fairly representative of a normal day. I am logging about 20% packet loss on various occasions throughout the day and it is extremely noticeable.

Are there any areas I can check to identify the cause or is this what everyone on Virgin Media experiences? It isn't usable for gaming or video calling at the moment. 

567.png

678.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Daily Packet Loss

Not what everybody on VM experiences, but seems to be a not uncommon element of the teething troubles of the Hub 4.  In order to achieve gigabit speeds the Hub 4 uses much higher modulation rates, and that makes it much more susceptible to line quality, I would guess. 

There's been quite a few posts about problems with the Hub 4 (in particular this one), and what is pretty obvious from that post is that even with an expert customer who is very understanding and very co-operative, and when VM throw quite a bit of technical expertise at the problem, the tech guys want to fix it, but don't properly understand the cause, and therefore can't get it resolved.  Ultimately, I believe that VM will get this fixed, because rolling out gigabit speeds and DOCSIS 3.1 are absolutely central to their strategy, but in the past the same was true of the Hub 3, and that took two and a half years for its main technical failing to get resolved.

I can't say what proportion of Gig 1 customers are enjoying a fault free, low latency and zero packet loss connection, and the answer may be "most of them" but on what I see here I'm not in the queue for either the Hub 4 or a gigabit connection. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I experienced different but difficult issues with the Hub 3 as well, and hoped somewhat that the new kit and on a newer network would provide a better service.

That thread is useful but not promising. I can only hope it seems to arrange an engineer visit.

Unfortunately any attempts to contact VM about this seem to go in loops, timing out after they fail to answer for over a hour when getting transferred between teams.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Well hold on here, and the VM staff who patrol the forum will pick this up and advise - response times can vary from instant up to a few days, but you're dealing with UK based staff who want to help. 

I'd ALWAYS use this forum as the route to getting problems resolved, rather than risk VM's broken telephony and cheap-and-crap offshore call centres. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Good1938,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you're having issues with our Super hub 4. We understand the frustration caused especially when it is interrupting your online gaming and streaming experience.

As you have already been monitoring your packet loss and this has not improved we would like to check that there is nothing else that may be causing the issue.

I will pop you over a private message so we can look in to this further for you.

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Good1938,

Glad to hear a technician has been booked in for you for Saturday, keep us posted with how the visit goes and if your services improve.

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I too have been having issues with the Gig1 SH4. I get dropped packets which cause issues with current remote working (Voice/Video/Wifi Calling), and i get dropouts on a daily basis. I started the BQM a few days ago.

Originally I thought it was a wifi issue so have set up a separate wireless access point. Its now clear that this is a WAN issue

3875a391993ddecbaa6b277f55fde8639e3de50a-17-06-2020.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi lglynn,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you're having issues with our internet services, we understand the frustration caused when things don't work as they should.

Looking remotely from our end we can there is an SNR issue in your area. You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Virgin TV or TiVo® services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are sorry and our engineers are working hard to resolve this for you

Our estimated fix time for this is today at 4pm. Once this faults ticket F008131662 closes down and if you are still experiencing problems please come back to us through this channel so we can look in to this further for you.

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi, this has been ongoing for some time rather than it being isolated to the past couple of days

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi, this is still ongoing. How can this be rectified please?

I am having issued on VOIP, WiFi Calling and with Lag and dropouts on Gaming. Considering this is the top tier, frankly its very poor.

I called customer services and was told that the Hub4 team wasn't working currently!!!!!!

4c9fe958bbc152f3500c40fd994ff029d0db487e-22-06-2020.png

0 Kudos